Probability to see a smaller iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Danoc, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Because of almost the same form factor, I have sold my iPad and kept my MBA 11. I don't like redundancy.

But I enjoy having a small device in my pocket. Unfortunately the iPod touch is too small for my optimal satisfaction. I am sure a lot of users have the same need.

What are the chances that we see in the future a smaller iPad or bigger iPod touch?

I tested the Galaxy Note and it's close to what I have imagined. Apple is a master in tactile UI but surprisingly there is still an empty gap between a 3.5 inch iPod/iPhone and a 10 inch iPad.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

No one really knows other than Apple. If I were to hedge my bet, i'd say no because there's really no reason for them to do it. They make a lot more profit from their current lineup and they are still dominating the Tablet world.

That's why everything is a big IF.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are a number of rumors and threads discussing this
    If you use the search function, you will find a number of speculations

In my opinion, it is possible, but not likely
    I know others feel differently

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Personally for me I own a Kindle Fire and I absolutely love the 7" form factor but it's not great to use to surf the web so an iPad or any 10" Tablet is still better for those things.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The iToyz clan has agressively voted down the idea of a 7" +/- sized iPad.

For some reason they hate / fear / revolt at the idea.

With several sizes of Mac Laptops selling very briskly, I am in favor of a smaller iPad.

Yet I'm in the minority & roundly criticized for being open minded LOL :D

6. aleni macrumors 68020

5" ipod touch or ipad mini would be a god sent to me!

7. chleuasme macrumors 6502

That wouldn't be an iPad anymore, but a 3rd category of iOS device, something very portable, with a screen in the 6" - 6.5" range

[​IMG]

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

That would be a good ideas for a new "iPod" - drop the "touch" naming because if they do away with the Classic, which is likely, it would be nice to simply call it the "iPod", make it physically larger and with a larger storage capacity more akin to the Classic's and bump up the price a bit. Maybe drop the shuffle and stick with an iPod and an iPod nano. I think it would sell well - I'd be tempted to buy it.

9. jgc macrumors regular

I don't see it happening. I think there's a good chance that it was in the pipelines and highly considered. However now that the Kindle Fire bombed post-holidays, I don't Apple sees the real potential in a 7-inch form factor. They're dominating with the size they have now and anyone looking for a cheaper alternative can now order the iPad 2 new/refurb for a discount.

10. Axne1 macrumors member

Axne1

I would say no. The iPad is selling way to good, to risk competing with a smaller tab. They already feel the same way about the Mac series.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, if I'm understanding this correctly, not really. People said they would never make a smaller MacBook and then came along the 11" and it's selling like hotcakes...

12. Danoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Danoc

Ok so in your mind as long as the iPad sales are strong, no reason for a new form factor.

We just have to wait until the sales slow down.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'll say it again. As much as I love the form factor of my Kindle Fire and being able to hold it like a over-sized smart phone in one hand. It's pretty bad to use when surfing the web. You are constantly zooming in and sometimes that's not enough and just like most smart phones you have to zoom in even more and you are reduced to scrolling back and forth.

I think Apple knows this and why Steve said no to the idea. Apple could still come out with it but like others have said they have no reason to and and would only be competing against themselves. It's like having 2 Starbucks across the street from each other.

If it were not for me loving Amazon so much and Amazon Prime i'd stick with a 10" Tablet. :)