Probable dead logic board on mid-2007 Aluminum iMac with

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kman057, May 24, 2009.

1. kman057 macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2007 24" 2.4 Ghz Aluminum iMac with a probable dead logic board. One day I came home and it had a kernel panic screen up, telling me to reboot. It never started up completely, as it went into an endless reboot cycle. I tried re-setting the PRAM and unplugging all the plugs and resetting the system that way. That did not work, and now the screen does not even come up when I try to turn on the cpu. All I get is the fan spinning. Target mode does not work, and I cannot boot from the startup disk. I took it to the nearby Apple Store, and he was really no help-just another opinion that the logic board was dead. He quoted $750 to replace the board.

I pulled the hard drive and have gotten my data off, but I am not sure what to do next.

My options:

1) Replace it and hope that will fix the problem

-I don't think I want to go this route

2) Try and sell what is left of the computer for scrap

-I am not sure where to try and sell it besides eBay or Craigslist, and I am not sure what a fair price would be.

3) Buy a mac mini and try and use the iMac as an external monitor.

- I know this is difficult to do, but it would save the cost of a new LCD with the same picture quality as the iMac screen.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You can't use the iMac as an external monitor. Best bet would be to sell it on eBay. You'll get a reasonably good amount. Put the money towards a new iMac. That money + the money you would have spent on a new logic board will likely buy a new 24" iMac.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree with the eBay route. Part it out or sell it as a single unit for someone that needs to make repairs from what's left in it.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

5. kman057 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning that way anyways, and seeing how much the person with the broken LCD paid, I have an idea on price of where to start.

And no applecare unfortunately. The mac I had before the iMac was a powerbook g4 from 2002, and I had no hardware issues with laptop. Thankfully, it still works now!