Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I don't know for 1st gen how good is the heart rater sensors and the durable of the watch band. The main problem prevent me to buy the current one is not GPS inside, you need to carry iphone when run. Hope they will add GPS at 2nd gen, probably it will be a great product.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I was disappointed too, when I learned that the AW would not have its own internal GPS. But then, I bought one anyway.

I have only run a few times, but so far the HR sensor has been perfect-- it exactly matches my Garmin 910XT.

However, I do not think that the AW will ever be a suitable replacement for a dedicated running watch. The Workout app has several shortcomings, including the fact it does not map your run, it cannot show cadence, it does not have elevation, and it cannot show mile or KM splits. So, if you are a runner that is looking for a watch as a tool for recording and helping analyze performance, the AW will likely never be there. But, it is a great running companion to an iPhone, for those days when you do run with a phone.

My recommendation for runners is to get both an AW and a Garmin/TomTom/etc. running watch if you can afford it. If you cannot afford both, but want some smart watch features, get a Garmin Fenix 3.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I don't think Garmin Fenix 3 is good enough. The chest heart rate monitor is outdated and very inconvenient. The current best for runner I believe is Scosche Rhythm+ with iphone or android. It can last about two months. Even apple watch add GPS, one day charge will still be a problem.
Fitbit surge maybe good for runner, didn't try it but don't like black white screen.

I was disappointed too, when I learned that the AW would not have its own internal GPS. But then, I bought one anyway.

I have only run a few times, but so far the HR sensor has been perfect-- it exactly matches my Garmin 910XT.

However, I do not think that the AW will ever be a suitable replacement for a dedicated running watch. The Workout app has several shortcomings, including the fact it does not map your run, it cannot show cadence, it does not have elevation, and it cannot show mile or KM splits. So, if you are a runner that is looking for a watch as a tool for recording and helping analyze performance, the AW will likely never be there. But, it is a great running companion to an iPhone, for those days when you do run with a phone.

My recommendation for runners is to get both an AW and a Garmin/TomTom/etc. running watch if you can afford it. If you cannot afford both, but want some smart watch features, get a Garmin Fenix 3.

Last edited:

aschaeferusn

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015

I'm hoping that the Gen 2 will have a GPS. With native apps (wOS 2) and GPS, it should be able to track runs, cadence, etc. depending on the creativity of app designers.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I don't think Garmin Fenix 3 is good enough. The chest heart rate monitor is outdated and very inconvenient.
You could buy a Fenix 3 without the chest HR strap and use the Scosche Rhythm+ HR monitor instead. It is Ant+ so it should be compatible with the Fenix and many other devices. But, consider that the Garmin HR chest straps have their own accelerometers that measure a runner's vertical oscillation and strike time-- something that no other strap can do.

The Fenix 3 is my favorite all-around device, because it does it all-- it is a fully featured fitness device that is waterproof to 50M; does hiking, running, and swimming very well; it has smart watch features; and the battery lasts forever.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Anyone wanting to send me their first gen watch please feel free I will even pay for shipping. Mine is great as is!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't know for 1st gen how good is the heart rater sensors and the durable of the watch band. The main problem prevent me to buy the current one is not GPS inside, you need to carry iphone when run. Hope they will add GPS at 2nd gen, probably it will be a great product.

Well, if rumors are right you're getting a useless Facetime camera in gen 2 instead of GPS.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Well, if rumors are right you're getting a useless Facetime camera in gen 2 instead of GPS.
True the uselessness. Anyone been on the other end of a phone call with someone on their Apple Watch? Call quality is horrible. The AW picks up way too much ambient noise. A FaceTime call on the AW would be a multidimensional train wreck.

Reactions: Armen

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In the exercise mode that AW keeps darn good heart rates. My commercial elliptic and at AW are within a beat or two for my HR. I am pretty happy with the AW1 but I have no doubt that Apple will do better with the AW2.

My $260 Fitbit Surge did my HR constantly and the battery lasted for 4-5 days so Apple can improve.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
You could buy a Fenix 3 without the chest HR strap and use the Scosche Rhythm+ HR monitor instead. It is Ant+ so it should be compatible with the Fenix and many other devices. But, consider that the Garmin HR chest straps have their own accelerometers that measure a runner's vertical oscillation and strike time-- something that no other strap can do.

The Fenix 3 is my favorite all-around device, because it does it all-- it is a fully featured fitness device that is waterproof to 50M; does hiking, running, and swimming very well; it has smart watch features; and the battery lasts forever.
Don't know if you run everyday. After try arm /wrist band. You will not back to cheat monitor. Also hat ant +, it just doesn't work well.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
In the exercise mode that AW keeps darn good heart rates. My commercial elliptic and at AW are within a beat or two for my HR. I am pretty happy with the AW1 but I have no doubt that Apple will do better with the AW2.

My $260 Fitbit Surge did my HR constantly and the battery lasted for 4-5 days so Apple can improve.
How is fitbit surge? The amazon reviews are poor.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

The heart rate sensor is very good and the bands are excellent too. Yes, it will be nice when GPS is integrated into the watch itself. It already is a great product, but it will get even better over time.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Don't know if you run everyday. After try arm /wrist band. You will not back to cheat monitor. Also hat ant +, it just doesn't work well.
I run 4 days a week, and I do not like a chest strap either. But it has been the most reliable and accurate. DCRainmaker likes the Schche, so I may give it a try.

One question... I could not follow your last sentence that it doesn't work well. What doesn't work well?

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I run 4 days a week, and I do not like a chest strap either. But it has been the most reliable and accurate. DCRainmaker likes the Schche, so I may give it a try.

One question... I could not follow your last sentence that it doesn't work well. What doesn't work well?
I used to use garmin watch with ant+, the software in computer is very difficult to detect the watch when import the records.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I used to use garmin watch with ant+, the software in computer is very difficult to detect the watch when import the records.
Aaah, yes, I agree. The old Garmin watch sync to a computer through Ant+ is unreliable. I have to disconnect and reconnect the Ant+ stick on the computer almost every time I want to sync. Garmin abandoned Ant+ for computer sync in all their products starting a year or two ago. I have an older watch, so I have not tried the new sync technology yet. But my friends who have the newer watches say it works great. It uses WiFi, so it bypasses a computer entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.