Probably a Dumb Quesion About Hard Shells and Such ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirabella, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mirabella macrumors regular

Why use one?

I'm probably just being dense, but – your MacBook Pro already comes with a built-in aluminum case. What is the point of putting a polycarbonate shell, or a an Invisible Shield, or whatever, over your MacBook Pro? What's the purpose of encasing the aluminum case with a plastic case?

Thank you for any enlightening explanations.

2. nconnella macrumors regular

Less for destructive damage and more for cosmetic. Especially the IS. The aluminum can get scratched and dings and some people don't want that :) A plastic case could also decrease the impact of a small fall and save your machine.
    '

3. Mirabella thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, for cosmetic purposes.

Well, then: I never noticed any issue with scratches and dings with my (pre-unibody) aluminum MacBook Pro, nor with my TiBook, before that. I think I can skip the cosmetic concerns.

Besides, if you keep it encased in plastic, and the plastic gets scratched and dinged, then how is that cosmetically better?

As for the save-it-if-it-falls issue, I'll just be extra-careful not to drop it. Just like I've never dropped a baby, I'll be sure not to drop my MBP, either.

Thank you for explaining.

4. nconnella macrumors regular

I see no problem with that. My MBP is riding naked now and my 08 did too and never had a problem. It just comes down to how well you take care of it.

5. gfroyle macrumors member

I guess that hard plastic is less likely to get dented than metal, and shows up scratches less.

Also the faults occur on the cheap(ish) case which can be replaced or removed if you want to sell the machine at some later date in "mint condition".

Gordon

6. Bucknut macrumors newbie

I never understood it either, I see people on campus with cases on their laptops that look like crap. All dirty and cracked and scratched, whats the point? And most of the cases used wont protect vs a drop, do you really thing if you drop your laptop a small layer of plastic will save it?

7. Mirabella thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, gfroyle and Bicknut.

By the way, I forgot to ask: What is "the IS"?

8. gfroyle macrumors member

Invisible Shield - a sort of thin plastic you "adhere" to the metal.

9. Mirabella thread starter macrumors regular

Ah! Of course.

Thanks, again.