Probably a dumb question, but I can't find the answer I need

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KentuckyHouse, Jun 25, 2010.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Let me see if I can explain what I've got and the questions I have and see if anyone can explain the answer to me in a way that I'll understand...lol.

I've got a 3GS 3.1.3 (7E18), model MC135LL, modem firmware 05.12.01 that's jailbroken using Spirit. I have no desire to upgrade to iOS4 at this point as I like how I've got the phone set up right now. When I open Cydia, it says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3".

Now, after jailbreaking, I've done what most newbies have done...that is, downloaded a bunch of different JB apps to try. Some I've kept, some I've deleted. What I'd like to know is this...is it possible for me to restore the phone, set up as new, and then re-jailbreak using Spirit? I'd like to do this just to clean things up a bit.

I guess what I'm worried about is that if I restore the phone and set up as new, I won't be able to get 3.1.3 back on it and won't be able to re-jailbreak it using Spirit.

Can someone shed some light on this? If I've left out something you need to know, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can answer it. Thanks!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Because you have your 3.1.3 SHSH on file, you can restore to 3.1.3 using saurik's method and then re-jailbreak using Spirit.

The real question is why you think you need this. Cydia uses the APT package management system to install and remove your apps. One of the beauties of APT is that it is very easy to uninstall anything you no longer want. Uninstallation may leave some some preference files on your phone in case you later want to reinstall, but they should have no effect on performance. This is not Windows, there's no registry to corrupt and slow your phone down. There's really no need to do what you're talking about.

Still, it can be done if you really want to. Just be sure to option-click (or shift-click on Windows) the restore button so you can choose your 3.1.3 firmware file. You don't want to accidentally upgrade to 4.0.

3. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

thelatinist, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear and it's good to know a bit more about my phone now. Guess I don't need to do a "clean up" restore after all.

Thanks!