Probably a silly question - but why so much $$ for factory "upgrades"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneRider, Aug 26, 2010.

1. LoneRider macrumors member

I recently bought a MacBook Pro, 13" and was kind of shocked at what Apple charges for additional memory or larger HD over the stock options.

I can understand bringing in a computer after purchase and upgrading, where used parts are removed and returned, but seriously an extra $400 to bump the RAM 4Gb to 8GB? They are only adding another 4GB ($125 a stick at full retail prices). You know darn well the 2GB sticks are going into another machine on the assembly line, no one is having to pull from an already assembled unit and then reinstall the other memory.

Side note-I still don't understand why all manufactures insist on using smaller sticks and filling all slots instead of using larger sticks and leving a slot open. Sure, a 4GB is a few bucks more the 2x2GB, but it would certainly make upgrading later more cost effective.

Stock 250GB HD, $150 up-charge to go to a 500GB? Name brand 7200 rpm 500GB drives can be had for less than $100, they are still going to use that 250GB one in another machine. Again, it's not like they are making it one way and then having to go in and change. They are making it with the bigger parts from the get go.

I am sure the 8GB RAM/500GB HD configuration is a standard one that comes off the line, no real additional cost other than the more expensive parts, but they sure seem to rape folks who might want the extras from the get go. At those prices, I would expect to have the 4gb and 250GB HD "stock" parts included as spares.

Instead of paying Apple $550 (+tax) I went to Newegg, picked up a 7200 rpm WD 500GB HD ($69.99) and 2x4GB of memory ($199.98) with free shipping, for out of pocket of $269.97, less than half of what Apple would charge AND I still have the "original" parts that I can sell to recoup some of the cost ($125 anyone?).

It took me all of about 20 minutes to swap the stuff out, then CCC to clone the disc over. All in all a pretty simple job.

I am really diggin my Mac since I switched, but damn that was a hard Apple to swallow!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It costs more because Apple (And almost all other companies) produce thousands of stock, regular configuration units in a week or even day.
    Let's say you order a 13" 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and a 500GB HDD.

They don't pull a packaged unit off the shelf and take it apart and put those parts in, they pull a unit off the line, and have a person install these things, while most of the stock configurations are most likely automated at some points.
    All in all, it costs Apple more to put these parts in, so they charge you for it, whilst also getting a good fee to do so.

Just upgrade what you want yourself. You're doing the labour, so you save that money, which for instance, at $22 per hour (What my local Mac Shop) (Non Apple Store) Charges, it would be about $200 for you to upgrade your hard drive, and probably about $300 for RAM.

Regarding the lower capacities vs less sticks of RAM, even if it is only a few bucks more, put yourself in Apple's position. Wouldn't you rather make two more dollars a computer?
    All companies do it, Apple is not an exception

3. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

they all do that dude. it might not be as expensive with other companies, but it is still more cost effective for you to do it yourself

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

Simple. They do it this way because that's been proven to be the most lucrative strategy for them and they exploit the fear of many of their customers to do simple stuff like installing RAM or swapping a HDD. Get used to it or avoid it like you did. Every item that has the :apple: logo on it comes at a 50% premium even if the added value is nil.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's just business. No company will sell stuff to you at cost, let alone install it. Apple may charge a bit more than others, but they only charge that because they know they can squeeze it out of people, specifically people that don't know a whole lot about computers, and are not aware of the prices and relative ease of installation of such parts.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

THIS!