Probably a stupid question about iTunes 9...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevearm, Sep 30, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

This "home sharing" feautre.

I want to use it to transfer all my music from my desktop onto my MBP...

Will the "import" button, copy every music file and store it onto my laptop? ie. I don't have to be connected to my WIFI network to access the files? It's basically a duplicate file, correct?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, sharing a library isn't the same as copying it. You can listen to songs in a shared library, but only when that library is available on the network.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I'm talking about the "Import" function, which physically seems to copy files over to my Music>Itunes Media folder.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Home Sharing allows you to copy files from another computer's library over the network. The Import feature you are referring to would use Windows Explorer or Finder to navigate to a shared folder on the network. These are two very different operations but they accomplish the same ends. iTunes just simplifies the interface so you don't have to go digging in the folder structure to import the music you want.

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that still doesn't tell me if the transfered/imported content is permanent or if I can only use it when part of the same network.

Please note, I'm not talking about streaming/viewing my PC's library, but COPYING/IMPORTING the files by dragging and dropping or clicking on the Import button in the bottom right

If I import an mp3 from my PC to my MBP using home sharing... and then I go to France for a week. Will I be able to listen to that mp3? Is it duplicated and now on both PC and laptop?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When you are using the Home Sharing feature in iTunes 9 and you copy a song from it into your local iTunes Library, it's permanent. It actually copies the file from one machine to the other.

Yes.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does tell you, if you'd read the info in the link I gave you:
    Picture 1.jpg

8. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks themoonisdown09. As I said, stupid question, but just wanted to check.