Probably a stupid question.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewForeva, Jun 7, 2011.

1. AndrewForeva macrumors member

Does the New iMessage use data? I mean would Apple make a deal with the carrier that when iOS 5 users send messages over 3G, it won't count as data? Because on Apple's website it saids iMessage allow users to send "unlimited" messages.

P.S. This probably is an obvious question but I just want to know.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it works with wifi or 3g iirc. 3g would be a small bit of data, just like aiming someone i assume.

3. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

Wifi is free. 3G uses data from your bill like everything else. Does anyone know approximately how much data an average message is?

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

A typical text-only message is about half a kilobyte or less. This is why texting is such a ripoff with carriers. They're basically charging thousands per megabyte when you compare it to your home internet service.

The read receipts and things add some extra data and the indicator that tells you when they're typing a reply. All of that will still probably be less than 1 kb though.

Adding pictures and GPS location will add more, of course.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I doubt the data increase would be so significant. iMessage would of been deisgned in a way where it is data efficient. Also carriers may come out with "iPhone plans" which doesn't count data used in iMessage in the overall data plan like the have "Blackberry Plans" for BBM (just a thought not based on anything fact).