Probably an old question: Does the Airport Extreme work with an Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kahnyl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I just bought an Airport Extreme and everything was going great until I tried connecting my Xbox 360 to the network. When it would supposedly connect to the network but then not show any IP settings or anything else I Googled it to see if there was a known issue. The results I got said that it worked without security or, alternatively, if I followed these instructions:

In Airport Utility, Option-Click (or alt click on windows keybaords) the radio setting button to get the hidden choices, and select “b/g compatible”, NOT “n (b/g compatible), just straight b/g. That will limit each device to 54 mpbs, which is fine.

Next, Option-Click your encryption setting button and select “WPA Personal.” Go into the Internet:DHCP settings (I think) and reserve an IP address for your 360 based on it’s MAC settings to make sure it gets the same IP all the time. In the NAT options, select that IP as the “Default Host” so as to cause no issues with XBox Live functionality. Restart the Apple Extreme.

After it’s up and running, start your XBox 360, go to the last blade of the Dashboard and select your network settings - it should let you select your new WPA-encrypted network and you’re good to go.

I did all of that but it still didn't work. I turned off the security and it still didn't work. Are they compatible at all? Almost all of the Google results were old so I'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me the up to date accurate info.

Thanks for reading.

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Set your xbox to use a manual IP address, and set the Subnet to 255.255.255.0, gateway as your router's ip address, and your DNS server as your router's ip address

use an arbitrary ip #

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yes, mine works fin with my xbox 360 wirelessly. It sounds like your doing everything correct. Mine is set to 802.11n (b/g compatible). Maybe your wifi adapter for your xbox is broken.

4. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

I reconnected my previous router and was able to connect to Xbox Live, so I know it's not the adaptor. I've also tried inputting the IP and DNS settings manually and that didn't work either. The connection test fails right at the beginning when it tries to connect to the network.

It's really really strange.

When you say it's fine do you mean after using the workaround or just out of the box?

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

What workaround are you talking about?

"Out of the box" is also an odd term for wireless networking. There are always security settings and things that need attention.

I've been using an old "G-only" Airport Extreme with my 360 for years. I recently replaced that with the newest version with no effort whatsoever.

6. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

I read somewhere that updating the router's firmware helps.

But I have another question: do these issues persist if the xbox is plugged in directly with an ethernet cable?