Probably dumb question about sharing iMac disc drive with a Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lunchbox700, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

So my wife's MacBook Pro (summer 2011) has a bad disc drive and can't read blank DVDs. We wanted to burn some discs full of photos for a couple clients to have. She does most of her editing on her MacBook and don't want to transfer the files to the iMac is there a way to share the imac's disc drive with the Pro. I have sharing enabled but haven't gotten past that.

Also thanks in advance I've searched for awhile but there is a lot to sift through and wasn't finding anything.

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

3. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if its optional probably not let's just say I don't have 100% of the machine usually the closer that comes in when things are on the line. Do both machines need the update.

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

You have to forgive me, but I didn't understand what you wrote. Here's the support document for the issue which includes the download link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

5. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I need to stop posting from my phone I get distracted and leave things out. I found that document and the fact it is written for driveless machines (air,mini) I didn't know if worked for me. Ill try it now.

6. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Let us know if this works or not. You never know if someone will search for this same thing in the future.

7. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

It would appear that what I feared when I read the document is true if the machine has a optical drive (the machine thinks the drive is fine and research has shown its a known glitch ) it does not allow you to use a different machines drive accept I believe if you are doing a recovery/install. So I'm doing what I didn't want/too lazy to do I have logged in to the MacBook from the iMac and am copying the files then I will burn it. Not a big deal plus I learned some things I've never done before. Just was hoping for an easier solution.

8. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

If it's broken, are you okay removing it from the system? Maybe then the iMac disk copy will work.

9. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

It's sort of broken it won't read blank discs. From what I've read it's common with this model especially when using lightly colored dvd's which is more annoying. Honestly if the wife lets me take over total control I believe there's a way to take the drive out and put in an extra SSD drive plus a whole slew of things I couldn't explain to her if I tried ;)

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You can buy portable external USB DVD burners for around $30 on sale from Amazon, Newegg, etc. which will work. These are usually sold for use with Netbooks and other portable computers without builtin optical drives.

Not free ... but a pretty cheap and flexible solution! :)