Probably getting an iPhone, I need tips.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robby9279, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Sorry for all these posts I've been making lately, I'm trying not to fill up your forums. :p

Anyway, I'm probably getting an iPhone for Christmas my mom said. But here's the catch, my parents don't want to sign a new contract and be subject to a data plan.
    But, my mom said she's willing to pay the extra cash for one off ebay.
    This is where I get stuck, which phone do I want?
    The iPhone 3G or the first generation iPhone, since I won't be using data that much I'm stuck in a pickle.
    Here's what I've been thinking.
    Pros for 3G:
    3G wireless data (will be used in future)
    GPS
    I think it's better looking
    Flush Headphone jack
    better speaker
    Cons:
    plastic breaks easily

Pros for 1st gen

Nice, aluminum back
    Less exspensive
    Cons
    Edge
    No GPS
    3.5mm Jack, only selective head phones can go in

So, if I'm going to possibly using data in the future (because my dad will have to upgrade for his company), then I'll want it to be fast, or at least faster than edge. But I don't want a phone where, if I drop it once it breaks, even if there's a case on it.
    So I need your suggestions,
    Thanks in advance :apple:

2. mets1125 macrumors regular

I really do not think the iphone is worth it if you are not going to be using data. You might want to look into an ipod touch.

3. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I said I'm getting data in the future, I agree, the phone is pointless without it. but in a month or so my dad is finally getting a data plan.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

that is just not true
    if you drop it, the plastic WILL NOT break
    it is very sturdy and strong
    i dropped my iPhone onto my garage floor (concrete) WITHOUT A CASE ON, and not only did it not crack, there wasn't even a visible ding or scratch (except the chrome part, but that's to be expected, and even there it was fairly small)

what you are hearing about on this forum all to often, and it is, unfortunatley, blown way out of proportion, is CRACKS in the plastic back. These are not caused by drops. It is caused by a problem in the injection molding process that apple uses for the backs, which has probably already been resolved by now. A very small percentage of iPhone users experience this (even if 1000 people on this forum claim to have had the issue, that is .01% of the iPhone users...a quite good failure rate if you ask me)

even if you are unfortunate enough to have this issue, Apple will replace your phone on the spot if you bring it in to a genius (they did for mine)

so if you decide to go with the 2g over the 3g, don't let it be caused by fear of the material it is made out of. It is one of the sturdiest phones on the market

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't get a 3G without data. You can get the first-gen without data. Keep that in mind.

6. archipellago macrumors 65816

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

don't forget that the fact that there is a better phone for cheaper is only your opinion

I disagree, and maybe the OP does too

8. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I have to get it unlocked :p
    So I believe I can get both without :D

I do disagree, I've been looking at the iphone for months, I'm not going to do anymore research on a different phone.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the 3g unlock doesn't come out until New Years Eve
    if you wait until then, so that the 3g becomes unlocked, then you can get either unlocked
    also, at that time, I think the price of 3Gs on ebay will go up, and the price of 2Gs will go down

if you do have an old 2g, sell it now before the 3g unlock comes out (i got 500 bucks for mine)

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So you don't have an iPhone, yet a con is "plastic breaks easily?".

11. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

What? On eBay people are claiming that you can unlock and put your simcard in and you're good to go.

12. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha :D
    I just meant the plastic on the back of the 3G vs. The aluminum on the first gen would probably break faster than aluminum :p

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, with using an EXTERNAL device. You need something like Turbosim.

What dccorona is talking about is the software unlock. What can be done through software, and no cutting of sim cards.

14. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that's fine turbosim is cheap, and most people sell the iphone with it.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you drop the phone, it probably won't break. Actually, it more than likely won't break. This phone is built pretty tough. The glass screen would break before the plastic back would.

Keep in mind the plastic back is pretty strong.

I keep my iPhone in my bed by my pillow sometimes, and I can wake up sometimes wondering where my phone is at. It falls on the floor all the time, and my bed is about 3 1/2 feet up.

16. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i don't understand how "my dad is getting a data plan" gets you data. You have to each have your own separate data plans, you cannot share data like you share minutes.

17. archipellago macrumors 65816

obviously its my opinion, this is a forum for opinions and I didn't try to state it as fact, I didn't think I needed to explain that.

however I do have experience of iP 2g & 3g and other (better) handsets.

18. TheMBC macrumors 6502

You might want to add that the 3G has a louder speaker and a flush headphone jack.

19. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

That is true, thank you

20. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

If you're that worried about the stability/strength of the 3G, maybe you should be looking at other phones until you feel sure enough that you'll be able to hold onto it.

Also, as someone already mentioned, you can't piggyback off your dad's data plan, you'll need your own, which will be $30 a pop, not including unlimited SMS messaging.

As an aside, when I got the 3G, I relegated my original iPhone to my wife. The few times I've tried using her iPhone since then has just been painful. Edge just cannot compete with 3G.

Good luck either way. :)

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the way your first post is phrased suggests that you are stating it as fact
    if you had said there's phones out there that I think are better, and are cheaper, then it would seem more like an opinion