Probably have been asked... Textbooks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mabyboi, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Basic question, im a business/ Computer science student at western in canada and am wondering if i can get my textbooks on the ipad. From either IBooks or downloading PDF's and adding them in?

If this has been asked, im sorry, please forgive my ignorance and direct me to the right place.

thanks!:apple:

2. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Kinda depends on the textbooks, doesn't it?

Some are available, though not many, in epub (iBook) format. More, though still not all, and probably not even most, are available in PDF.

3. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Scan and OCR them into PDFs like I will. I refuse to go broke for yet another semester, gonna borrow the books from the library and make digital copy to load up on iPad overnight.

Textbook publishers/sellers are the scum of this earth. I wouldn't do this for regular books, but for college textbooks, couldn't care less.

4. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

you make a very good point sir. but can you still highlight and make notes with the uploaded ones?/pdf ones?

5. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

The whole point of OCR is to make the text selectable/highlightable, etc...I did a test scan before, loaded it up into an OCR app, then into iBooks...and voilà, I was able to annotate, highlight...the trick is to scan it correctly so that it's as clear as possible, that way the OCR app can do its magic.:)

6. KandyKane macrumors 6502

What do you use for this? I've just been downloading the texts I could find in PDF but still missing a few.
    Some of the books are 3000 pages... :(

7. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Im curious about this aswell. how did you do this?

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your question is easy to answer. Do the publishers of your textbooks have iPad apps? If they do, then the answer is "Yes." If they do not, then the answer is "No."

9. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

For OCR, I use Omni Page Pro. For PDF viewing with first class annotation, I use iAnnotate.