Probably the weirdest "Collectible Wanted" thread ever...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by WB2Colorado, May 26, 2010.

1. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

Yeah...

I've been looking to add an Xserve to my Mac collection. I don't know why, I just want one. I've always liked them.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting. you just want one for the sake of wanting one?

dont get me wrong, id love one :p so classy!

3. WB2Colorado thread starter macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

Well, I might find some use for it, but yeah, basically. :p I might use it as another desktop, servers are really powerful, y'know. :p

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i know lol ;) would be awsome to have :D

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Check out Craigslist. At least in my area, there's always a couple for sale. The G4s are getting pretty reasonable these days.

6. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I have 5 dual 1.0 G4 xserves I have lying around. The problem is they are heavy and big for shipping!!!!!

Fun and powerful to have non the less :)

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I thought that some of the first ones were more powerful than desktops in the day and you could configure them with a graphics card to use them as desktops.

They're cool - wish I had the space for one...

8. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I've got a couple of G4 1gz DP Xserves, complete and in great condition. What are you looking to spend? :)

9. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

The cases are deep. I've got a 1U RM Xeon that doesn't fit under a desk, I really don't have anywhere to put it. A friend passed the server on to me after his office, a major voip provider, closed and let him take a bunch of stuff.

If you're eying one, make sure you have room, my server is nearly 1 yard deep :O

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Good point. Another thing to consider - they're pretty loud. Most dorky people like us don't care, but perhaps the OP has a significant other that might. ;)

11. WB2Colorado thread starter macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I'm looking to get them for as cheep as someone is willing to sell them for. :p As of right now, I would probably need to get more money in order to actually BUY something, I just wanna see what price someone would be willing to sell theirs for.

EDIT: Also, do they have a graphics card in them? One with a VGA output is preferred

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol.. dorky. thats a word i havent heard for along time! im used to whirring computer noise - i can have up to 4 computers on in my room and still fall asleep :D

13. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Pretty loud is pretty much an understatement.

Though the G5 XServe we have is marginally quieter than some of its Poweredge brothers and sisters, it is still comparing a jet taking off to a slightly smaller jet taking off.

14. WB2Colorado thread starter macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I'm not really concerned about the loudness, loud things don't bother me that much, and I probably won't have it turned on that much.

15. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I've always wanted one too. Would it work as a good web server? I might just make one a home file server.

16. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

I run mine in my basement, and I can hear it on the first floor of my house. It's ridiculously loud.

Yeah, they make excellent file servers. I'm using it to stream videos to my TiVo, the server automatically downloads and extracts movies from usenet. I control it from upstairs through remote desktop, I can restart it over SSH if it freezes. It pretty much runs itself, it's awesome.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup should be great as a web server - bit expensive isnt it!?!?!? you could build a basic PC for ~$500

18. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I could build a pc, but that's not my point. And I had a dream about one last night, so the gods have spoken.

19. BarnacleGrim macrumors newbie

I'd like one too. It would be great for MythTV, or Folding@Home, I don't want to use it at night on my desktop, too noisy.

What about running them as a cluster? I have no idea how that would work in an everyday setting.

It would be very neat to heat your house with these things AND curing cancer at the same time.

20. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

i wan't a g4 xserver to use as....... a server! to replace the stupid pc i was using as a ftp server before it stopped recognising one of the hdd's

21. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha, I don't think you appreciate how loud these things get.

When I am configuring a server I set it up in a corner of my office. While the thing is running, I can't even listen to any internet radio out of my iMac that sits 4 inches from my face. The poster that was saying they could hear it through floors wasn't kidding.

It really is a "If this thing is within 10 feet of me in the same room, OSHA probably requires me to wear earplugs" sort of deal.

22. WB2Colorado thread starter macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

Like I said before, I probably won't have it on a whole lot, it will probably just sit there on display, if anything. I could probably buy a quieter fan for it, since I don't really plan on using it as a server I don't think I would have to worry about it overheating. But I could be wrong about that.

23. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Id say that, if you can, get a G5 model over a G4, mainly as theyre ever so slightly quieter (I had one in my Garage, and Im 1 floor above and couldnt hear it, although the fact it was in a noise-reducing case probably helped, as they are loud) - Im intending on getting another infact, as theyre so shiny, and it is just plain cool having 1 sat in your collection. (Also very useful as a kindve file dump, as a sort of once every 3 months backing up the rest of your collection to it kindve dump).

24. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Hope you have a closet or spare room to put an Xserve in if you want one because they are loud as hell.

25. Xavier macrumors 68020

It would be nice to have one of these babies.