Probelm downgrading 10.5 to 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drjb89, Dec 14, 2012.

1. drjb89 macrumors newbie

I want to downgrade my ppc from 10.5 to 10.4 i got the DVD when i put it in i tells me to restart as its loading up lots of script comes up and tells me to hold down the power button and restart. this continues till i remove the dvd.

I only just got the dvd from Ebay its only one dvd?

2. clark85 macrumors newbie

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What exact model of Mac. Are you sure it can run 10.4? If it was released later than the OS version on the disk, then it probably won't work, as the OS needs to have drivers for new hardware.

Is it a retail installer disk for any Mac? Is it black, or grey? Grey ones only work for particular models -- the Macs they were shipped with.

It sounds like you're getting a kernel panic, which would suggest that the disk won't work on your hardware.

Finally, why do you want to downgrade? Perhaps there is an alternative method of achieving your goal. If it is to maintain Classic compatibility, then I would suggest looking at SheepShaver (a classic Mac emulator), or searching for a newer version of the apps.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

None of the PowerPCs came with Leopard.

I think you just have a bad DVD. It's loading all the required files, but then it gets stuck because it can't read it anymore, and so it panics. Even if you had grey disks, it wouldn't do that. It just wouldn't work without error.

You might want to tell the eBay seller this.