Problem accessing certain websites

nikaeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
I have an IMac 350MHz/128mb6GB OS9.1. I'm using Netscape 5.1.7. For some reason certain websites refuse to load up properly. They used to work fine. I know the browser has 128bit encryption, so I'm stumped. Any ideas? :confused:

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
You mean they used to work well with your present version of Netscape? How about clearing your Netscape preferences?

Comment

nikaeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
problem accessing certain websites

Hi, thanks for the quick response. How do you clear the preferences? I'm fairly new to the Mac :p

Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
It has been quite some time since I last used OS 9 so do bear with me. I think it might be located in the Preferences folder within the System folder. Just trash the file and then restart your netscape

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
nikaeda said:
I have an IMac 350MHz/128mb6GB OS9.1. I'm using Netscape 5.1.7. For some reason certain websites refuse to load up properly. They used to work fine. I know the browser has 128bit encryption, so I'm stumped. Any ideas? :confused:
I am sure that you mean Internet Explorer 5.1.7. Netscape went from Netscape 4.8 to Mozilla-based Netscape 6.0, which was tré-crappy. The 5.x version of Netscape was not released to the general public. Perhaps, you should try to access this site with a different browser. Netscape 7.02 will work with MacOS 9.1. So too will Mozilla 1.2.1. iCab and Opera are also available for MacOS 9.1.

Comment

nikaeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
Hi, I trashed the Explorer (did mean Internet Explorer) pref file and it didn't make any difference. I did manage to get on one site though. After the page came up blank as usual, I just went into preferences and clicked ok, and it loaded up. Strange. Still can't get on to the other site though.

I hadn't realized there was a version of Mozilla that works on OS9.1. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the input

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.