Problem adding music from iTunes into FCE 4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghoztman, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ghoztman macrumors regular

I am new to FCE and all things Mac.

I am making a movie in FCE 4 HD. Camera is a little Canon HV10. I can't add music (.mp4) to my movie.

1) I import the file (128 bit rate .mpeg-4 Protected)
    2) Add Tune to audio track in FCE
    3) Receive error message that the application cannot play this file back and to open it in iTunes.
    4) if I try to render the file, FCE gets stuck in a loop with the above message

I can add .mp3 files without any problem. I figure it's a bit rate problem, so I stupidly bought Quicktime thinking I would be able to open the song and Save As with options to degrade the song. I can't do that.

Any ideas why I can't add this song from iTunes to FCE 4HD?

Thanks and regards.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Music purchased from the iTunes Music Store is protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management) and using it in FCE or FCP is a violation of the iTunes Store terms of use as well as being a violation of U.S. and international copyright law.

FWIW, FCE works best if the files you import match the FCE Sequence settings. In most cases, this audio would be AIFF format at 48khz, 16 bit.

-DH

3. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer. I just bought the album to add a song to my movie, then I bought Quicktime thinking I could resample it. I just spent 60 bucks, I wonder if I can get it back.

In their endeavor to curb it they end up encouraging criminality. Go figure?!?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

You can thank Sony and the RIAA for most of the language in the last two major copyright law revisions.

-DH

5. heron88 macrumors 6502

You could probably record the song while its playing on your computer as a voice over, and then use that file in final cut.

6. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

I can backup the album to CD, then re-import it to iTunes without the protection (at least my Windows laptop offers me this option) then import the file into FCE.

So there is a workaround, which they should get to work on ASAP or just let me use the track I bought for my own personal movie.