Problem after HDD replaced by Apple Store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djcentrino, Feb 28, 2013.

1. djcentrino macrumors newbie

Just collected my iMac from Bluewater store (UK) after it had the HDD replaced under the recent recall (1TB Seagate drive). Inspected the unit in the shop only to spot two smears on the inside of the glass, they took it out back for 15 minutes and removed the smears. Just got it home and noticed that there is a problem with the LCD panel :(

It is difficult to explain but random individual pixels keep flickering, you can really only spot them if you make the screen black. looks like interference but having now unplugged pretty much everything that might cause interference i am certain the fault lies within the machine. It was absolutely perfect before it went to the shop. It is a bit like several planes in a night sky with their twinkling lights.

I am going to have to contact them tomorrow and I guess they will insist I make the 50 mile round trip so they can check it out!

Really annoyed :(

Daniel

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What else do you expect them to do? Bluewater have appointments available both today and tomorrow, book one - and take it back to them.

3. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Not to be negative but I took my late 09 in for the recall in January. They managed to chip the case and crack the screen and also somehow break the display, similar to how you described.

After waiting weeks going back and forth with them and waiting for parts they attempted a repair and broke the fan. The machine was in 100% working order when I originally took it in and never had a problem. I thought I should get it done before the time ran out. I wish I didn't.

In the end, after a lengthy process and the botched repair they replaced the machine with a new one. I didn't get an apology until late on in the game either.

But they did the right thing in the end. I would have been happy with it being repaired and getting it back in a condition similar to how I took it in but they seemed to have broken it beyond repair.

Sounds like yours is just the screen so hopefully they can fix that quick for you.

4. djcentrino thread starter macrumors newbie

I expect them to send a courier! The problem is that I work long hours and have a very young child, so making trips like this are a pain. the whole reason I got a mac was because they are just supposed to work.

Daniel

----------

Thanks for your response. I suppose there is always a secret hope for an upgrade but to be honest we just want the computer back as it should be.

I know I will end up taking it back, i am just worried that this might be the start of the machine going down hill.

Thanks again,

Daniel

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Yeah, not in Europe.

Just for fun, call +1-800-MYAPPLE and explain what happened (without mentioning the UK obviously), and compare that to what ever they do in the UK.

6. djcentrino thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally sorted

Well it looks like you get sweet FA here in the UK.

I will make this very brief:
    1) Take iMac in for replacement HDD - cocky bloke saying he will probably do it tonight.
    2) 4 days later they phone saying the computer is ready for collection
    3) Collect machine and notice smears on the inside of the screen - the machine goes back in to have the smears removed, go back after one hour and the man says this is the best we can do, (great 1: WHy didn;t you do your best in teh first place and 2: if i find any more smears I won;t be accepting the machine) lucky no smears. Here's your receipt bye bye. (no live check - i assumed it would be fine)
    4) Get machine home to notice a pixel anomaly on the screen, pixels randomly flickering with occasional white bar along the bottom of screen.
    5) take the machine back demonstrate fault to 'Genius' he checks wire from screen to no avail. Orders new screen and wire, tells us that it is not in stock could be anywhere up to a month wait so encouraged us to take the machine back with us.
    6) Finally get the email to say screen is in. Take machine back, promised machine back in about 14 days.
    7) 3 hours later receive a call saying machine has been repaired - thanks a lot (but I just got home from the store!)
    8) drive straight back to store and collect the iMac - WORKING!!! Yippeee!

What an ordeal for a straight forward HDD swap. . .200miles, 4 different members of staff all requiring the story to be explained individually and not to mention the amount of time.

For some reason I am glad the machine seems to be working but I don't feel that happy.

Quite amusing sitting at the Genius bar to see a chap next to me coming in with an issue with his 27" iMac and hearing the 'Genius' saying that he is entitled to a free HDD swap. . . . . Free it will be if that doesn;t include time and fuel that is.