Problem after i upgraded to 4.3 just now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexacid, Mar 9, 2011.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I had a JB'd iphone 4 on 4.01 and last night i restored a fresh 4.01 on my phone in anticipation of 4.3.

Well, just now i update my phone to 4.3, and after it loaded on my phone itunes gave me error 1013. I told tiny umbrella to get me out of DFU and it did. my phone booted, but my signal only showed 1 bar. Which is impossible because i get -65dbm on average since i'm about 60 feet from a tower!

It seemed to make calls ok, and internet speed seemed ok, but what the hell is going on?

I just downgraded back to 4.01 again now. and everything seems ok.

what should i do?

2. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

also, is the combination of 4.01 and the new baseband going to cause any problems until i figure out what to do with 4.3?

3. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

oh wait, it says i'm on 01.59.00, isnt that the old one? how is this possible? did it downgrade my baseband too? i thought that wasnt possible

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

highly doubt the baseband is the problem, im on 4.2.1 went from 4.0.2 to 4.2.1 with the same baseband and its working the same

5. nbidgood, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

nbidgood macrumors newbie

apparently iOS 4.3 has a baseband check built in and if the baseband isn’t correct, you get stuck on 1 bar (even though your actual signal is fine).

tinyumbrella prevents your baseband from being updated when you do a iOS update (to preserve unlock), which is how you kept 01.59.00.

you need to remove the modification to your /etc/hosts file. see this apple discussion. basically, in the Advanced preferences of tinyumbrella, uncheck "set hosts to Cydia on exit” and then restore again to 4.3. this time your baseband will be updated (which will likely prevent unlocking, fyi) and your signal strength meter will work again.

the details of the hosts file are that if you have either of the following lines, remove or comment them out (but above instructions probably easier)
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com