Problem after Jailbreak, then Re-Virginizing. Apps disappeared

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AliasHandler, Nov 6, 2008.

1. AliasHandler macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just recently did a jailbreak on my 1st Generation iPhone, running software 2.1. After a few days of using it, I decided I didn't like it jailbroken, so I did a restore back to the apple approved 2.1 software.

Here is where I encountered a problem. While my phone was jailbroken, I had an app that sorted applications into folders, and coincidentally the only folder I made was for games. I had 2 full pages of games in that folder. After my restore, none of these games will show up on the iPhone even though it shows them syncing, and they will show up as "other" on the hard drive storage meter. I have no idea how to get these games to show up now, and I've already restored again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Delete the games from your iTunes, and re-download them. You wont be charged for doing this, you already purchased them. Also, make sure you do NOT restore from backup when you restore your phone.

3. Macgic macrumors 6502

when you restore after JB it saves some of your settings. I have heard that a DFU restore gets rid of the old settings but not sure as i haven't tried myself...
    If you had a backup from "before" you JB you can restore with that and have your old settings.

the reason this is happening is cause phone still has all your games stored in categories its just that categories isn't on your phone anymore. you might be able to ssh but i have never done that.

4. AliasHandler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the help, I'm trying the DFU restore now, hopefully that will do the trick, considering I don't think I have a backup from pre-jailbreak.

I will let you guys know if I can get it working.

5. AliasHandler thread starter macrumors newbie

Ultimately, NOT backing up to one of my back-ups is what did the trick.

6. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This is why there is a warning label on Categories.

What Categories actually does is install an application launcher, with an icon that looks like a folder.

The apps that you choose, go into each applicaton launcher (folder).

Since these apps now have shortcuts (icons) in the laucher (folder), they no longer need to be on the springboard.

They're still there, but they're hidden.

If you have apps in folders, you can actually use Poof to turn the springboard icons back on, and you will have multiple icons for the same app!

What happens when you restore with apps in folders is that those apps are still there, but the Categories application has hidden their springboard icons (just like Poof).

What you will need to do, is rejailbreak, and use Poof to get them back.

In the future, if you are ever going to restore, or change your firmware (for example, to upgrade to a new OS), you must first empty your Categories folders!!! Also, if you have hidden any icons with Poof, you should turn them back on again before restoring or upgrading. :)

I learned all about this the hard way. Now, you have too. The difference however, is that I had to figure out what the hell happened, and you have me to explain it to you. :)