Problem and Maitenance questions for a MacBook 5,2

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Steper001, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Steper001 macrumors newbie

My :pdaughter has a MAC that intermittently shuts down. We had the fan cleaned out and put a new seal down to prevent overheating. It worked for a while and is shutting down again. Here are my many questions:
    1. What is the typical life period for a MacBook?
    2. My daughter never updated her software. Could this be affecting the computer's operation?
    3. Why is there a $60.00 charge to update the operating software?
    4. Is there any regular maintenance that should be conducted on a MAC?
    5. How are MacBooks protected against viruses?
    4. Is the following configuration outdated?

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5

Any other suggestions on maintaining this MacBook is appreciated. Thank you in advance....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It very much depends on how you care for it.
    You should apply Software Updates as Apple releases them. What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    Where are you seeing a $60 charge? Updates are free. Upgrades are not.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?

No, Mac OS X maintains itself.
    Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.
    That depends on what you're trying to use it for. You can install up to 6GB of RAM and a SSD for added performance, and you can run any version of Mac OS X from Leopard to Mountain Lion.

Here is additional information about your model. MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White-09)

3. gertruded macrumors regular

My MacBook version 5.2 (early 2009 white MacBook pre unibody) runs as well as new every day.

I have upgraded the HD and added 4gb of 800mh ram but otherwise just use it. I expect more years of service.

Purchased as a refurb 41 month ago.

Running MOuntain lion.

4. Steper001 thread starter macrumors newbie

shutting off

All of your answers were extremely helpful; however, we still need to know why the mac is intermittently shutting off.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If your temps aren't hitting 105C, your shutdowns most likely aren't due to heat issues, so you can eliminate that possibility.