Problem AT&T Preorder no option to renew 2 yr contract & pay $399

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cassied219, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Cassied219 macrumors newbie

Is there something that I am missing? When I go to preorder, Apple only gives me 2 options: 1) to purchase phone outright or 2) to choose the Next program. I do not want to do the next program. My 2 yr contract is up and would like to purchase the 6s 128 GB for $399 and renew my contract for another two years. Is anybody else having this problem? Is there a way around this?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You have to order through At&t for 2 year contract.

3. Cassied219 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Do you know why they changed it? I HATE ordering through AT&T and prefer to do so through Apple. I suppose I'm forced to order through AT&T now.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Changed it several months ago, At&t did, not Apple. They are trying to get rid of 2 year contracts.

5. Cassied219 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, I've had to order through AT&T for the first time ever. Hope they don't mess it up because I've heard too many horror stories regarding preordering through the carriers.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have no option but to order from att's website.
    AT&T wants to make it harder and more limited for their customers with older plans in order to make them switch their plans to next and the new share plans.
    It's a pretty shady strategie imo to do that to many longtime customers that supported them over the years.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

At least AT&T will let you renew them with a subsidy. IIRC, Verizon only lets their longtime customers that supported them over the years keep their unlimited data plans if they pay full-price for their phone upgrades.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    The 2 big carriers always pull shady moves like that on their customers and copy each others ideas on how to charge more and give less.

10. xrayboy macrumors newbie

why do you want to renew a 2 year contract? if you sign up for a mobile share plan on Next or BYOP the line fee is significantly lower than on a 2 year contract. AT&T will get their money from you in line fees despite the subsidized initial purchase price. I recommend Next or purchase outright.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because for many people the subsidy and old plans are cheaper.
    And they don't have to make monthly payments on their phones.

12. Cassied219 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth. I would rather pay $399 upfront. Instead of being on my husband's plan, I am on my parents phone plan (because we have a grandfathered unlimited data plan) so I do not want to add the expense to their plan.

13. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people are still on the grandfathered unlimited plan. Purchasing outright doesn't lower the monthly payment if you're on grandfathered unlimited.

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Good luck with that. It was my first time ever ordering through AT&T. Horror Story is putting it mildly.
    If their goal is to get us off of the 2 year contract . . . that might be working.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I just cannot see myself making payments on a phone for 24 or 30 months.
    I paid off my new car in under a year.
    Payment plan on a cellphone for 2.5 years?

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I agree

17. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I wrote this on the AT&T forums:

18. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Well, you're still making payments, they're just called "undiscounted line fees".

19. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

My "line fee" receives a 22% corporate discount, effectively reducing both my costs of service and equipment.

20. danilko1, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

17% for me.

Just found this: Free AT&T FAN account (YMMV)

I don't know how they got this list of FAN, corporate discounts. But I am pretty sure if you are breathing you qualify for one of them. My discount used to be 15% and didn't include nation wide Unlimited Data. But now it's 17% and does include Unlimited Data.

If you are a AAA or Costco Member, there's something available for you. This also goes for T-Mobile.

21. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

W00t for you. I get that and $25 per line discount for not having a contract.

22. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I keep my old grandfathered plan because factoring in the subsidy I can't find another plan that saves me any money. So until AT&T eliminates subsidies completely, here I am.

23. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

This is me +1

24. flur macrumors 68000

The $25 off the $40 subsidized line fee is a 62.5% discount, for those playing the numbers game at home.

A few more numbers of note:
    The unsubsidized line discount of $25 totals $600 over 2 years, while the difference between the subsidized iPhone and the unsubsidized iPhone is only $450, so if you subsidize without a corporate discount, you're paying an extra $250 for your phone.
    A 22% discount makes the line fee $35.20 per month. The unsubsidized line fee at 22% off is $13.20. The difference ($22) over two years comes to $528, which means even if you have a corporate discount, if you're subsidized you're still paying $178 more than you should for your phone.

25. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

This debate between 2 yr contracts and Next is getting old. For those on grandfathered plans, the 2 yr contract can still make sense. For those on the newer Mobile Share Value plans of at least 10GB (now 15GB for the promo going on), it's cheaper to either buy at full retail or use Next as an interest free payment plan.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it?