Problem: ATT 4.3.3 => "restore backup" => Verizon 4.2.8

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oodl, Jun 29, 2011.

1. oodl macrumors newbie

I recently switched from at&t iphone 4 to verizon iphone 4. However, I can't "restore from backup" using my att phone back ups to my new verizon phone.

Searching online, I think this is because my att backups were in ios 4.3.3 which verzion only allows up to 4.2.8. Is there a work around? If I don't transfer, I will loose all my text, phone history, phone settings, in app saved data, etc and that is a major pain.

Any solutions?

The only solution I have now is to upgrade the verizon phone to ios 5 beta 2 and restore from backup from my att phone. I can add my UDID to a friend's developer's account so I have access to and ability to use ios 5. However, this would mean I'm using a beta ios on my daily/primary phone. I've heard beta 2 is stable enough for daily use though still some risks involved.

Verizon SUX! :mad:

2. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I've been using beta and beta2 on my At&t iPhone 4 since release and overall it's stable enough for everyday use.

If this is your only solution, then I would go for it if I were you.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I thought about going back to Verizon to get better phone coverage if they ever came out with tiered data. Then they came out with tiered data with the cheapest tier costing more than At&t is charging me. Now this. All these years, I've never seen OS related issues when it came to backing up, restoring, installing apps until Verizon got into the picture. Now you are saying that At&t customers who want to switch to Verizon won't be able to bring their backup data with them? Epic fail.

This wouldn't matter much in my case 'cuz I have Mobile Me. When I buy an iThing, my day to day data is loaded on the thing before I leave the Apple store. Still, if I was replacing my iPhone with the same model on a different carrier, I would have a reasonable expectation that my data would come across automagically and it would seem that Verizon has somehow managed to block this. Bummer.

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Not a Verizon issue. iPhone backups don't work with older software. The verizon iPhone 4 runs version 4.2.8 and the AT&T one runs 4.3.3 so his 4.3.3 backup wont load onto his new 4.2.8 because 4.2.8 is older software than 4.3.3.

Both Verizon and AT&T iPhones will eventually be getting iOS version 5.0 in (sept?) and then you will be able to freely move between carriers and backup / restore to either phone. They just both have to be on the same version of iOS or the new one has to be on a newer version of iOS.

If his AT&T iPhone was running 4.1.0 then this wouldn't have even been an issue for example. Sucks but that's how it sits currently.

5. aaTRON macrumors newbie

Did the iOS 5 beta 2 work around fix the issue? I'll give it a shot if it did.

6. Alvo23 macrumors newbie

Did this work

Thanks for the post. I have the exact same issue and was wondering if upgrading the Verizon iPhone to iOS 5 worked.

7. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

May not work for some of you depending on your backup situation, but I was able to go into time machine and restore the backup of the "device backup" files for my iPhone which contained a backup prior to my upgrade to 4.3.3.

After restoring with Time Machine, I was able to use my device backup in iTunes to restore to my iPhone4 from Verizon.

I lost a couple of week's worth of stuff, but better than all of it. (app data in particular)

My thread here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1183063

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I'm also having this problem. Any luck anyone?

9. Alvo23 macrumors newbie

Update

I did install i OS 5 beta on my verizon phone. (I have a dev account) and used the restore file I had from my AT&T phone and it worked great.