Problem boot up after screen replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by medfreak88, Aug 11, 2015.

?

I had this problem before?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. medfreak88 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an iMac late 2006 (2.2 GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, ... etc) that I replaced a broken screen for by a newer one.

The new screen works perfectly fine. However, After I had made this replacement (very carefully without damaging anything, to the best of my knowledge), when I turn the computer on I get the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning circle. This just stays there like that, no boot and no moving forward.

Things I've tried to do:

1- Pressing Shift (for Safe Mode): didn't work (meaning that nothing happens and I get the same result as mentioned above).

2- Pressing the D for Diagnostics, nothing happens

3- Pressing Command + D: nothing.

4- C after loading a Windows 10 boot CD (because that is the only boot CD I have): it gives a black screen and then white writing says

"1-

2-

choose type of disk"

Just like exactly that. Pressing 1 or 2 on the keyboard didn't change anything, so this didn't work either.

5- Pressing Option + Command + P + R: I did it until I head the chime 3 times, yet nothing happened afterwards.

6- Pressing Command + R: nothing happened.

What should I do? I have a feeling it might be the hard disk or the logic board, but I don't think the logic board is damaged because I swiped the HDD for one that has Windows 10 installed on, and that booted fine and worked well.

So it seems the HDD. What do you think I should do?

Thanks,

FDA

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think the OS X installation is bad, or the hard drive is bad.
    The D does not work, because your iMac is too old to have the diagnostics built-in. It's on the original system restore DVD, which you apparently don't have.
    The command-R is only for newer OS X versions that have a recovery partition. Again, your iMac may be too old, although the later 2006 models could go to OS X 10.7.5 - which would have that partition.
    So, to answer "What should I do?"
    Find an OS X installer DVD. A good choice for you would be OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). That would get you close to a modern system, and the DVD is easy to find. You can check on eBay, etc, or simply purchase one direct from Apple - they still sell that version of OS X - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You may also need to replace the hard drive, if it is the original drive, then it's about 9 years old - pretty toasty for a spinning hard drive, and may be why you are not able to boot.

3. medfreak88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, DeltaMac!
    I purchased an installer DVD from eBay and waiting for it to come. Will post the updates here.

I think I need to change the hard disk. What type of hard disks should I use? Does the generic HDD work? And would any SSD work as well, or are there specific types that connect to the iMac cables?

Thanks again.
    FDA

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your old iMac takes a standard 3.5-inch SATA hard drive. The connections are standard, so a common SATA SSD will simply plug in to the cables. Those are 2.5-inch size (same as laptop drives), so you would need some way to secure the SSD in place inside the iMac. There are 2.5 to 3.5 adapters that would work fine.
    Here's a search page with several. I like the Sabrent or Newer Technology ones. (those that are low profile), but that's just my preference.
    Any SSD should work, I like those from Crucial. The BX100 would likely be a good match.

5. medfreak88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased an OS installer disk (10.6) but I got the error "This cannot be installed on this iMac" with no further details. Should I try to install an older version?
    What other older versions are available that I can install?

I did run a Disk Utility and tried to verify the disk. It asked to repair which I attempted, but failed. I then erased the disk and the repair failure went away and verification said that disk is OK.
    I partitioned the disk and enabled RAID. Tried to install the OS 10.6 again but got the same error message that the OS 10.6 could not be installed.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It sounds like you may have bought an installer DVD that shipped in the box with another model Mac.

It will install, but only on the same model that it came with.
    What does it say on the DVD label? An iMac, for example, sold as a Late 2009 iMac may have come with a 10.6 installer. THAT DVD won't install on another model iMac - only another Late 2009 iMac.

That's one reason that I usually suggest that buyers stay away from eBay when purchasing OS X installers, as you often don't know what you are getting until you have already purchased it.
    And (just a reminder), Apple sells a Snow Leopard installer DVD, the correct one, for only $20.