Problem burning DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KettyKrueger, Sep 22, 2008.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All

I have a Region 1 DVD that I have just ripped with MTR. I changed the region of my iMac Superdrive to rip it. I've changed the region code back to Region 2 now (stupidly).

I'm trying to legitimately back this DVD up but when I try and burn the TS folder with DTOX it says it can't be done due to 'copy protection', but surely MTR would have taken care of that??

I can't revert the region code, I'm all out so is there any way to burn this DVD without a)changing the region code and b) re-ripping the DVD?

I was thinking about buying an external DVD drive to aviod this issue in future, would any ext. dvd drive work with OSX?

Thanks in advance.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - buy an external firewire dvd burner - that way you don't have to keep changing the region code - Matshita drives can only rip dvds if the region setting on the drive and the disc are the same (as you have found out !). I use a Pioneer external and it will rip any region dvd.

The error from Dtox is a bit strange - MTR will have removed the copy-protection and region coding from the disc - can you play the rip with the Apple dvd player ?

Firewire external dvd writers should all work with Macs. Is this MTR 3.0 you are using or the earlier 2.6.6 version ?

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Doesn't work with Apple DVD player either, get the same message (error (-000725).

I'm using latest version of MTR (3).

I didn't realise other drives could rip any region disc, that's useful to know, that was going to be my next question!! Do they play all regions too?

Cheers for the reply dude.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Have you tried RipIt - I downloaded the trial yesterday but have not tried it.

If it does not play in Apple DVD player then it won't be worth DETOXing or burning.

I have a MacBook with the internal set on R2 and a Pioneer external set to R1 (which happily rips R1, R2, R4 whatever).

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Just recommended that model to somebody a few hours ago !!

If you have got the free delivery from Scan then go for it. If not then Amazon is £47 and Play is £49.99.

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Ah excellent, thanks for the tip.

Has anyone got any idea before I splash out on an external drive. There must be some programme that will remove protection from TS folders (even though I'm positive MTR already has!).

Thanks.

7. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Too late, already ordered it!

Can someone just confirm that external DVD drives are not region locked please? I have some region 1 rips that I can delete if so...

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Don't understand what you mean by Region 1 rips - if they are MTR they are all-regions.

External dvds are region-coded too but you will be able to rip whatever region discs you put in there - there should be no need to change the region on it..

9. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I just meant I have some DVD rips from Region 1 discs. I was going to save them in case I needed to re-encode them further down the line. But if an external drive can rip DVDs from any region without switching the region code, then I can safely delete the rips.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Ok - but there is a difference between ripping dvds from any region and watching them (prior to ripping). If you start watching them using dvd player and the external dvd drive then you will end up having to switch regions on the external (again and again....).

Rip - then watch and you will have no more problems (so to watch your Region 1 rips again you will have to rip them again if you delete the ones you have at the moment). Or you can change the external to R1 (leaving your internal on R2) and still be able to watch R1 (unripped) on the external and R2 (unripped) on the internal without using up any more changes. II think that is what I have...

MTR will still rip the R2 discs on the external without complaining......

11. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Cheers for that. I have no intention of watching DVD's on my Mac so everything should be cool.

So how come external drives can rip any region of DVD?

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Witchcraft ???

No - it is a problem/failing with the Panasonic/Matshita internal drives used by Apple - they cannot rip discs unless the discs are the same region as the drive is set to. Other manufacturers drives don't have that problem.....

When do you expect the external to arrive ? I would be interested to know what manufacturer's drive is inside the Freecom enclosures - guessing LG but maybe Pioneer....

13. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

It's on it's way right now, should have it tomorrow before 1PM.

I'll let you know what's inside.

Thanks again for your help :)

14. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Well - is it working or not (and what's inside it??)

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One other note about MTR's ability to remove Region restrictions- when the disk is originally scanned by MTR 3 (and if I remember right the old 2.66 did the same thing) you have to pay attention to the "Disk RCE" field.

If "Disk RCE" (which is Region Code Enforcement BTW) shows "-CLEAR-" after the initial scan, then "Disk RCE Region" below that must be set to "OFF".

On the other hand, if "Disk RCE" shows "-DETECTED-" then the "Disk RCE Region" must then be set to the disk's original region code. Failure to do that will result in a disk with the region code not being removed successfully, as the OP's disk sounds like may have happened.

16. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I'm not sure what's inside to be honest. I was having a look around in 'about this mac' and rememeber seeing Ricoh, but I can't find that now!

Well, as you correctly pointed out, it will rip all DVD's from all regions.

Back to my particular problem, it still wasn't playing ball!! I ended up ripping with Osex and it worked perfectly. So worked out in the end.

The ext. drive is working nicely but sometimes refuse to eject, had to get a small nail out on a few occasions to eject. Also get the odd 'communications error' when I burn using Lightscribe, but I'm only up to 4 coasters so far!

17. logana macrumors 65816

logana

About this Mac>more info>disc burning should show both you internal and external makes.....

Glad to hear it is ripping ok - can't help on the not ejecting (sounds like a LightScribe "feature"...)

18. antarmen macrumors newbie

Different problem burning

I've been using MTR 2.6 for about a year now to back up my DVD library. Recently, I've run into problems.
    The disks extract fine, but when I burn using Roxio Popcorn 2, I have audio dropouts at random points throughout the movie! Movies that this is a problem on are: All Star Wars movies, The Persuit of Happiness, Constantine, and V for Vendetta. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    This is the only problem I've had using this software combination. Is there a better extracting software?