Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sleez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
North Hollywood, CA USA
I bought Roxio Toast Titanium 5.0 and downloaded the 5.2.1 update so I could burn some DVDs on my iMac (which is about 2 months old). I set it to record a video_ts file from one of the DVD discs that I've ripped to the hard drive. It records the files and verifies, then it says that the DVD was burned fine. The problem is that when I try it on any DVD player, the disc will not play. It won't play in a stand-alone DVD player, on the iMac nor on my PC. I checked what was burned, and all the files were recorded fine. I've gone through 6 discs with the same result. The only time it recorded anything viewable, was when I set it for "disc copy" and even then, the entire DVD was not recorded because of some error and when I popped it in the player, the portion that was recorded was very pixelated and unwatchable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
I dont have a dvd burner but I will try and help anyway...

Things to think about:

1) Are you trying to "back-up" a DVD Movie you bought, if so I beleive they have copy protection code on them making it hard for people to copy... If your really want to make a back-up copy im sure there is a third party program out there that might work.

2) Your media may be bad/"unliked" so your disks are just no good and you need new ones or for the "unliked" part you may want to switch to a different brand and see if you get better results (I have gone though two CD Burners my current one burns great with memorex CDs but my old yamaha would always get media errors when using them, it just didnt like them"

3) Im not too up to date on DVDs so I dont know if this is possible. Are your disks DVD-R or DVD+R they are two different standards for burning, I dont know what standard apples superdrive uses so you will have to look into that and make sure the media matches the drives standard.

4) Are you using DVD-RWs I dont think you are but just in case they arent good at playing on players from what I have read.

I hope this helps or at least leads you in a better direction then your are already going in....

VegetaPunk

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maybe you should check out roxio 6, its suppose to be better with dvd's.

iJon

SBG88

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Toast kills me. A friend has no problems with toast ( 1 ghz pmac). Myself ( 800 FP imac), have no success with toast. I have no skills, don't now what I'm doing I was told. So he comes over to "show me how." He can't do a simple thing as copy a cd on my computer and toast. (Always an error, creating a coaster). Using Dragon burn I have no problems with the same exact process.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Never tried to copy a DVD, but original content burns on Toast 5.2.1 without any problems, the VIDEO_TS folder is usually generated in DVD Studio Pro, then dropped into Toast for the burn, works every time, I haven't lost a DVD yet, and they work fine on players ranging from a PS2 through domestic machines to PC DVD-drives.

Using quality DVD media is important, although I've had equal success with data DVD-r's and TDK's expensive "For Authoring" discs.

I'd guess it's to do with the extraction process and copy protection, if you can find a ripper that extracts the MPEG and AC3 files, then re-author the disc, you'll probably get results.

INFIDEL

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2003
Hi all,

Totally new to the board, but just wanted to say thank you to all above, especially User X, for helping me to finally solve problems of burning dvd's!!

Went like this. Ripped DVD with DvdBackup. Compressed it into size big enough to fit on one disc with DvD2One X. But then, quoting User x and using Toast Titanium 5.2.1, did the following:

"When making a dvd you need to click on the new dvd icon on the bottom and then drag your VIDEO_TS into the disk. Otherwise all you will get is a data dvd with the video file on it that will not be playable on a dvd player."

Result: Brilliant clear copy!!! Used Intenso DVD-R media, and it works fine both in my Mac with superdrive, and on my PS2.

Once again, many thanks!!!

regards,
Infidel
:)

Kubiczek1984

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Update for Roxio Toast version 5

Hi there,

I would like to ask, if someone has downloaded update 5.2.1 or higher. I red about update 5.2.3, but all links redirect you to official website of Roxio and they dont support version 5 yet.:( I need to burn DVDs and i am looking forward to buy version 5.2 and i don´t know, if it supports burning of DVDs. Thanks anyone for helping me.
If you have the lates update, please send it to my email adress:
Kubiczek1:apple:atlas.cz

Many thanks, Jakub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.