PROBLEM: Burning HD DVDs using DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jessica Baum, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jessica Baum macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2014
    I shoot full HD video with a Panasonic AG-HMC40. The settings on my camera are set to 1920x1080 60i.

When I import my video files onto my mac, they show up as AVCHD.

Through Log and Transfer, I can import them into FCP 7 no problem. My sequence settings are set to the EXACT same settings as the ones on my Panasonic camera.

I've literally tried EVERYTHING to export the highest quality .mov file from FCP 7 to burn onto DVD. I have used compressor, and DVD Studio Pro. I have even tried iDVD, and MPEG Streamclip before importing into DVD SP.

NOTHING has worked. The resulting DVD quality is terrible no matter what I do. No matter what file size and type I export out of FCP. Also, my DVD SP settings have always been set to SD. I know HD won't burn a DVD compatible for windows and most DVD players.

Could it truly be that it simply is NOT possible to create a high quality DVD, playable on PC, Mac and standard DVD Players?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME:(:confused:
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    I am not sure what you are asking for. Standard DVD has a 720x480 if your video is 4:3, then you will have 720x480 tall pixels. If your video is 16:9, then you will have 720x480 wide pixels. In all instances, you will have rectangular pixels. In no circumstance will you have square pixels. In no circumstance will you have HD video.

If you want HD resolution on your DVD, then you must burn your 1920x1080 video as data. You must also choose a video format that is supported by your favorite DVD set top box. Many DVD players support the DivX format. Many also support WMV. However, to produce WMV on your Mac requires Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD for the meager sum of $179.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point. An TV is a better solution. It will stream HD video from your computer to your TV. It is a lot less expensive than Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    That's correct. Standard DVDs are either 720x480 or 720x576 depending on framerate. If you want HD video then you'll lose compatibility with standard DVD players (and then you'll probably want to use Blu-ray because there are very few HD DVD players out there).
  4. Jessica Baum thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2014
    to misterme and nermal

Thank you very much for the quick help :D
  5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    For BluRay DVDs, you will need an external BluRay DVD burner, and something like Roxio's Toast.