Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenMiles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Hi,

I'm rather new to iPhone programming, and I can't get this figured out, in what should be a simple test program.

I have a main view that contains two buttons and a UIImageView. On viewDidLoad, I load into the UIImageView the first of six images that are in my resource folder:

Code:
- (void)viewDidLoad {
	self.imgNamesArray = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"Sima_bouncy", @"DannySpikes", @"DanSima", @"DaddyDanny", @"MikeHorse", @"SashaTeeth", nil];
	NSString *strFirstImage = [[imgNamesArray objectAtIndex:0] stringByAppendingFormat:@".png"];
	UIImage *img = [UIImage imageNamed:strFirstImage];
	if (img != nil) {
		[imgShown setImage:img];
		[img release];
	}
	[strFirstImage release];
	[super viewDidLoad];
	}

This works fine.

imgShown is defined here:
IBOutlet UIImageView *imgShown;
and it is connected to the UIImageView on the screen that I placed using Interface Builder.

If I click the "Load Next Image" button, the following code executes, and I am able to successfully cycle through the images on the iPhone's screen:

Code:
-(IBAction)loadNextImage:(id)sender {
	currentImage++;
	NSString *strNextImage = [[self.imgNamesArray objectAtIndex:currentImage] stringByAppendingFormat:@".png"];
	UIImage *img = [UIImage imageNamed:strNextImage];
	if (img != nil) {
		[img release];
	}
	[strNextImage release];
}

However, I have another button, called "Load Previous Image," and the method loadPreviousImage is **identical** to loadNextImage above, except for the first line, which says
currentImage--;
a decrement instead of an increment. loadPreviousImage *never* works, it crashes the program.
The debug window says:
Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”.
and it seems the crash happens on the following line:

More information:
When I added the following line to the beginning of loadNextImage:
currentImage++
if (currentImage == 6) currentImage = 0;
I expected to be able to cycle through the images, going back to the first after seeing the last when pressing "Load Next Image", but I get the same crash and error when it tries to load image index 0 again.

Also, if loadNextImage ignores the currentImage integer and just says:
NSString *strNextImage = [[self.imgNamesArray objectAtIndex:4] stringByAppendingFormat:mad:".png"];

...see? I'm just placing image index number 4. *The first time I press the button, it loads the proper image, index #4, and the next time, I get the error.

It seems that the error is generated whenever I try to load an image that was previously loaded. *If I try to repeat a previously-shown image, then error.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
/S

StevenMiles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Well, no responses, and I really need some help, so I simplified my non-working program and distilled out just the problem.

Now the project has two buttons. One button loads one .png into the imageview, and the other button loads in a different .png. If I click one button more than once, the program crashes, or if I hit one button, then the other, and then the first again, the program crashes. The crash happens on the line
and the debugger says:
objc_msgSend

The .pngs are in my resources folder.

Here is the entire code of the project:
the .m file:
Code:
@interface TestLoadImagesViewController : UIViewController {
IBOutlet UIImageView *imgShown;
}
@property (nonatomic, retain) UIImageView *imgShown;
-(IBAction)loadMichael:(id)sender;
-(IBAction)loadSasha:(id)sender;

the .h file:
Code:
#import TestLoadImagesViewController.h
@implementation TestLoadImagesViewController
@synthesize imgShown;

-(IBAction)loadMichael:(id)sender {
NSString *strNextImage = @MikeHorse.png;
if (img != nil) {
[img release];
}
else {
//show me an alert here. The alert does not show during testing.
}
[strNextImage release];
}

-(IBAction)loadSasha:(id)sender {
NSString *strNextImage = @SashaTeeth.png;
if (img != nil) {
[img release];
}
else {
// alert code here.
}
[strNextImage release];
}

I'd love some help with this.
Thanks.
/S

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You're releasing objects that you don't own. Remove the [strNextImage release]; and [img release]; lines.

I'd suggest reading up on Cocoa memory management.

StevenMiles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Hi, kainjow,

Fix worked perfectly.

I *have* read about memory management, seems like a hundred times, but it's still confusing to me, and I'll go back and crack the books yet again ...

Appreciate the help!
/Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.