Problem charging Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pasalo92, Nov 10, 2011.

1. pasalo92 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Lately I´ve been having problems charging my macbook. First the charger starts to get really hot and then I have to wiggle the charger a bit so that it either starts charging or just stays in not charging. The original charger that came with my mac was old and stopped working after several days of battling with the problem, so I bought a new charger to see if it would work better. After trying out the new charger for the first days, it did work better but still had the problem, and now even with the new charging the problem is as bad as before. The weird thing is that when the macbook is turned off, it charges normally, but when I turn it on it just stays in not charging while the battery continues to die, until it eventually reaches 25-30% and just shuts down.
    I dont think it´s a hard drive problem since I recently changed mine, and I really dont have the budget to take it to a mac store since I´m studying in Barcelona and it´s kind of expensive over here. If anyone could give me some help I´d appreciate it, thanks.

2. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Check for any debris on the magsafe port that might be blocking pins

Check for stuck pins on the magsafe

Check to make sure magsafe is flush with the side of the case (so that it is not sunken in, there should be no gap)

Reset SMC
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Take to apple store for service. May need new magsafe board (inexpensive) or logic board (expensive). It sounds like you are getting trickle charge, so it may charge the battery a little when the computer is not drawing power, but there is not enough power to power the computer/charge the battery when it is actually on

3. pasalo92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump.

I´ve tried all that and still have the problem. It keeps charging little by little when its sleeping or shut down, but when its on it stays in not charging and the battery keeps dying until it eventually shuts down :/. As I said before I want to try all other options before taking it to the Apple store since it is very expensive where I am at the moment

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I'd try replacing the dc-in board. A lot of times when I get computers to fix with power or charger problems I'll replace that first, its about a 5 dollar part, it seems to fix the problem about 50 percent of the time