Problem checking iPhone Mail from work. Blocked Server port?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PecanEater, Aug 17, 2010.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

My iPhone mail app can't send or receive mail (Gmail) while I'm logged onto my work WiFi network. I have no problems with other web access and can use my Gmail account via Safari without issue.

From searching and reading, my understanding is that the Gmail Incoming Server Port is probably blocked. Is that correct? At the moment it is set to 993. Are there other ports I can try? Is there an outgoing server port also? I don't see it in the Mail prefs.

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I have wondered this ever since I got my phone and never got an answer except my email is yahoo.

3. jgayman macrumors member

Just to weight in... my ISP is a small local company and about 2 years ago I noticed it was suddenly blocked from Outlook Express client. Fast forward to present day and iPhone4 and I cannot sync email when linked to office WiFi. Switch to 3G and it syncs right up.

4. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

5. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could just turn off the wifi on your phone while at work and use the cellular network instead.

7. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

That's what I do now. Unfortunately my AT&T service sucks at work. So, I use wifi for web access then have to switch off the wifi to check mail, then on again to use the web. Not the most functional work around.

I'd really like to know if I have another option.

8. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Mine has started working ealier this week. The only thing that I can think might have caused it to start working was I had to do a hard reset.