Problem: Cms Website Blurriness

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tberglun, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tberglun macrumors newbie

I am a print designer taking on the task of creating a cms website. So far so good, very easy to do, However....

I am putting most of the site together by just dropping in jpeg images on to the pages rather than working in html (which i dont know at all). The entire site looks great (for a beginner) on my mac, but....

Whenever customers view the page on a PC the text on the images become too blurry to read and the pictures look terrible. Please, does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Windows and Macs display text differently and since you stuck the text in the images, the Windows people are viewing the text the way you do, but is not familiar for them. I'd suggest not placing text in images, if that's a option for you so you can avoid this problem. Though I may be on the wrong thinking here. If you supplied the image I could have a better idea.

3. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

you said you are building a cms. Is this a cms style design or a functional cms? You said building the cms is easy, but you cant code in html? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand what exactly you are doing and trying to do. Post some screen shots or jpegs of what you are working on. Thanks

4. tberglun thread starter macrumors newbie

I must rephrase... I'm not building a cms website just using a previously made template...

Because I am not familiar with html I am unable to make the site look as I envision it.. Because of my lacking knowledge, I am taking a shortcut and making the elements of the page all pictures (the pictures include images as well as text).. So more or less the site is just a series of collages from page to page...

I just need to know if there is a way to save or adjust the images so they will be clear on both mac and pc...

Thank you guys for your help!

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Ouch. To be fair to your clients (if it is not a personal project) you should outsource. A bunch of images is not accessible for those with disabilities or Search Engine Optimizable (google can't index it), not to mention it is an extreme usability no no.

If you sold this service to a client and then are just using images for everything - that is highly misrepresenting what you are doing for them. Even if it "looks right" with pictures, it seems that it is not what a client would have hired you to do - even if they are ignorant of the differences. Please tell us it is a personal project or pro bono for a family member.

6. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I would still like to see an example of what you are doing to better help you. If you are using a CMS like wordpress or joomla I would just find some templates that fit your needs. There are lots of templates out there for free, and it might even be worth it to just pay for a good theme. If you just want to change the colors and pictures of the theme that shouldnt be too hard even if you are not an expert in html. just replace the images with the exact size of a new one. As far as colors, just edit the css. you dont have to edit the frame or skeleton of the theme.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It sounds like the "image collage" is intended to be a prototype for a future web developer to convert to a real working CMS - which takes talent. This is actually quite common, I've done it myself - just use Adobe PS to make a cool looking "screen snapshot" of a potential web site layout with major features and placeholder text intended for approval by the client (can be printed as a PDF or whatever also) in the early stage of development.

If not, the OP needs to rephrase again or follow the previous advice about using an existing CMS templated system and editing from there. I agree with the others, nobody here can truly help in the best ways until the OP publishes a site and sends us a link or at least send an example image as an attachment here (screen snapshots would be great comparing look in two different browsers, hint hint)

-jim