Problem configuring Mail.app and Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luckystriked, Feb 23, 2010.

1. luckystriked macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I want to configure my gmail in mail.app but i'm having some difficulty. I want IMAP, and if i delete something in Mail.app i want it to remain in the gmail server, is this possible? if so, how?

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It can be done fairly easily. I have my Gmail setup using IMAP through Mail and it works perfectly. Make sure you have IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings and there's a link at the bottom of that settings page that shows you how to setup your email program to work with Gmail IMAP. When I delete messages from Mail they are just moved to the All Mail folder in Gmail and archived.

3. luckystriked thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the answer but when i erase something in Mail it disappears from gmail also :(

EDIT: I tried it I it worked, thank you.
    But previously I used thunderbird and now I have a file called 'inbox' with 2gb and a folder called gmail.sbd with 3,6gb, if i erase it will I lose everything?

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

What's your thinking behind deleting you mail? Gmail storage is quite large, so I just archive everything for possibility of future search.

I'm not saying it's wrong, as it's your choice... just curious!
    :)

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You could try importing these files into Mail and then filing them into local folders if there are any you want to keep. You can probably drag them to the Gmail IMAP folders too if you want to put them back into your Gmail account. I haven't tried this myself so I'm not certain if it works, but it's worth a giving it a shot. Good luck.

When you delete from the Inbox in Mail using IMAP you are not deleting the messages in Gmail, you are just archiving the message on the Gmail servers.