Problem Connecting 2008 Macbook to 1998 panasonic tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by robbobfrh84, Nov 11, 2009.

1. robbobfrh84 macrumors newbie

I just bought all the cords needed to connect my macbook to my tv. Got the sound to work, but the image isn't completely coming through. The screen just shows several small warped mostly black and white images of my computer screen. that are scrolling down the screen....

I know the video cable is ok because it works fine with my DVD player. I have the Mini-DvI-to-Video adapter. I thought it may be the problem so i exchanged it today... but got the same problem.

I'm confused because at first i thought it was just the tv, buy why would the DVD player work fine? and what are the odds that I got two dysfunctional adapters? I've also tried several different resolution setting (all I think) but none have worked. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Are you connecting directly to the TV or through another device (VCR, DVD player, stereo system)? If you're connecting through another device Macrovision protection may be causing the issue.

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

not sure this will help, but something to check:

Go to System Preferences > Click on Displays

Check to see if "Mirroring" is turned on (if so, it may need to be turned off) and if the TV shows up and what the resolution is set to. If it is real high it probably needs to be turned down to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600.

4. robbobfrh84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm connect directly to the TV, not through anything else and I've tinkered around with the display setting quite a bit, but the lowest resolution with both mirror on and off doesn't change much.

Is it possible it's the adapter, although i've tried two new ones, it's a Dynex.

Also, my computer screen changes when I plug in the adapter (I know it's suppose to do that) and the TV screen changed warped images when I do change resolutions to different rolling screens... I've also tried both inputs, (Don't know what it's called Yellow slot and the round black one with needle like plugs)... and both video 1 and 2 in the back? both my computer and my girlfriends 2009 macbook....:confused:

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Use the Yellow ones.

The round black one with the needle is for an antenna or cable TV connection.

This is really hard to figure with out putting hands on the device myself.

THe only thing I can figure is the settings or you don't have the right connections.

Can you post photos?