Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I have the newest 13" 2.4 ghz macbook pro and am trying to hook it up to an ASUS VH242 External Display monitor. I am using a DVI cable then a DVI to Mini Displayport adapter. I hooked everything up and the monitor says DVI no signal then goes to sleep. What's weird is when I first plug the cable into the computer my screen turns blue like it should. I've tried going into settings and hitting detect displays but that does nothing.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I have the newest 13" 2.4 ghz macbook pro and am trying to hook it up to an ASUS VH242 External Display monitor. I am using a DVI cable then a DVI to Mini Displayport adapter. I hooked everything up and the monitor says DVI no signal then goes to sleep. What's weird is when I first plug the cable into the computer my screen turns blue like it should. I've tried going into settings and hitting detect displays but that does nothing.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance

Restart. Seems somewhat like the same issue I'm having with external displays. Restart with the cable still plugged in.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Restart. Seems somewhat like the same issue I'm having with external displays. Restart with the cable still plugged in.

I tried it twice, first time after restarting it came up with only my computer background and my mouse with no taskbar or bottom strip of applications making me think it acted like it was the secondary display. Second time it only loaded up to the blue screen it makes when the cable is being plugged in and got stuck.

Any other ideas? I have no clue :confused:

TheScotsman

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have a MacBook white non-pro 2.4ghz and had the same issue. Not sure this will work for you but once I had the external hooked up I had to open display properties on my mac and reduce the resolution for the external monitor and it started working, from there I up'd the res until it stopped working again, this gave me a baseline for the max resolution.

Here's a video from my tech channel, not sure if this will help you or not but maybe will offer some insight on the process. This video will also show you how to use your external monitor with the lid of your mac closed so you don't watse your lcd lifespan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNLOVn8hes If this video does not help you then please let me know and I will try to do some further testing for you.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I have a MacBook white non-pro 2.4ghz and had the same issue. Not sure this will work for you but once I had the external hooked up I had to open display properties on my mac and reduce the resolution for the external monitor and it started working, from there I up'd the res until it stopped working again, this gave me a baseline for the max resolution.

Here's a video from my tech channel, not sure if this will help you or not but maybe will offer some insight on the process. This video will also show you how to use your external monitor with the lid of your mac closed so you don't watse your lcd lifespan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNLOVn8hes If this video does not help you then please let me know and I will try to do some further testing for you.

Reduce the resolution on my Macbook Pro or the Monitor? When I go to Displays under settings it doesn't recognize the screen at all so there are no settings for me to change besides the Macbook Pro resolution

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
This is just on the off chance, but are you running on battery or plugged in?

I've found my MBP (and my MB was the same way), won't send signal to a monitor if it isn't plugged in.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I had a very similar problem using a mdp to DVI adapter too. It turned out that I had a faulty adapter, and I had to take it into the Apple store. The genius confirmed it wasn't working, and then I got a brand new one from the aisle.

TheScotsman

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Reduce the resolution on my Macbook Pro or the Monitor? When I go to Displays under settings it doesn't recognize the screen at all so there are no settings for me to change besides the Macbook Pro resolution

I did it on my MB but doesn't sound like it is gonna work for you in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.