problem connecting from mac to pc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrgreeneyes, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

on my macbook and my windows pc.
    i am running realvnc.

and i am able to connect to my mac from my pc.

but not from my mac to my pc.

is there something that i need to do?

thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Check your PC to make sure you have shared folders designated. If you've required that a user enter a login and password for those shared folders, you will need to type those in when you connect via your Mac.

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

im not getting to that point yet.
    see the thing is on my pc its telling me that i have to ip addresses

in the realvnc server screen it tells me my ip is 192.168.x.x
    and when i connect to my mac, in the mac realvnc server screen it shows that my pc ip address is something like 99.xxx.xxx.x

which i dont understand why i am getting 2 different ip addresses. and when i try to connect to either addresses it just fails.

do you think i would need to change something in my router settings, to allow a pc to connect? or something

thanks

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are these two computers connected to each other directly (like via USB or a crossover cable), or are you using a router? I may have misunderstood the problem.

It's common for some devices to have more than one IP address - a router has a LAN address for your home network and a WAN address for the outside world. Your computers could also have multiple IP addresses if there are multiple network interfaces (ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.).

In any event, if you're getting an address of 99.xx.xx.xx, that sounds peculiar.

5. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

yes sorry my pc and mac are connected to a wireless router.
    the pc doesnt have anything sspecial, no blue tooth or wifi, it connects directly to the router. my mac connects by wireless.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Make sure your Mac is trying to access your PC via the correct Windows workgroup (I think default is MSHOME).

Make sure you have designated one or more shared folders on your PC. If you haven't it won't show up on your Mac.

Also check to see which network adapter on your Mac is the one with the 192.168.x.x IP address - hopefully it's the wireless.