Problem connecting/loading websites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bvempty, May 3, 2011.

1. bvempty macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.6.7

Recently, I am having problems connecting or loading several specific websites, like support.apple.com, lifehacker.com, etc. However, many other websites like google.com, gmail, or nytimes are loading without this problem.
    On the same network, I am using a Windows 7 laptop, which is connecting to all websites without any issue.

I am using latest FireFox browser in both systems, and with AdBlock enabled in both browsers.

Symptom:
    Example Site: support.apple.com
    Browser title shows "Connecting..." with the circle moving.

Sites which are not loading:

Mac: iMac 27", OS X 10.6.7
    Windows: Lenovo Thinkpad, Windows 7
    Browser: FireFox 4.0.1

Any help is highly appreciated to get this issue solved.

Thanks
    BV

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset your browser, clearing cache and cookies. Restart your computer.

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

Try safari too and figure out if it's an issue primarily with Firefox (I suspect it is).

4. bvempty thread starter macrumors newbie

@GGJstudios, @ender land,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Results of further testing:
    I have reset the browser(s), clear the cache, cookies. Restarted the computer.
    Same result.

One of the many problem URLs: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2296

Mac: I have three browsers in the Mac system. Firefox, Safari and Chrome. All three browsers show the same behavior, and not loading the URL.

In the same network, I have connected an iPad(1), used the Safari browser. Strangely it also behaves the same way. After waiting for a while, it shows a dialog box saying "Cannot open page Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"

I have used Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, Opera Mobile 10.1.
    It is connecting and showing the website without any problem.

Lenovo Thinkpad, Windows 7, both Firefox and IE are connecting and showing the website without any problem.

Interestingly, I came across this thread in macrumors this morning. This also talks about the same behavior, but I am not sure if the initiator of the thread got any solution or not.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1025892

I tried ping for support.apple.com in both the mac and windows. Both are responding to the ping command, without any issue, showing the same IP address.

Thanks
    BV

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. bvempty thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi CGJsudios

The particular set of websites that are not connected or not loaded via Mac are available & they are not down. I can access them from the windows laptop at the same time when the problem is seen in Mac.

I have reset all DNS settings in my wifi router, and finally, I have also set both the computers' DNS to use public DNS.

In the current scenario, both the mac and windows uses google public dns, which is 8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4

I'll follow your link regarding the redirection, and see if it offers some more details.

Thanks
    BV