Problem Connecting Mac Mini to 720p Proscan HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PrtCannon, Jun 11, 2009.

1. PrtCannon macrumors newbie

Hi, all--

So, I've got a 2007 generation Mac Mini and a 720p Proscan HDTV with a VGA input. When I hook it up and crank up the Mini, the apple logo appears (on the standard gray startup screen), but when the OS starts to run my TV loses the signal and a message pops up that says "Not Support!" How can I fix this? Better yet, can I fix this? Are they just not compatible? I ordered a DVI to HDMI cable to give that a shot, but I've got a feeling it's not going to work.

2. pandabearjohnso macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

For what its worth...I have a Mini connected to a Samsung 1080p via HDMI cable. It worked great from the beginning, but I had to get the correct DVI to HDMI adapter. Of course now I can't remember if I needed the Dual Link or the non Dual Link adapter. I tried one first and it didn't work and then I tried the other.

One possibility is that you have to change the resolution setting on the Mini or on the TV.

Are you going through some sort of amp or video switching device?

Good luck
    Tony

3. PrtCannon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Tony--

Thanks for the response. After checking out a few other forums, the DVI to HDMI cable option sounds like it's going to work (*fingers crossed*). I tried lowering the resolution on my Mini, but that didn't seem to make a difference. So, the connection will essentially be a cable running straight from the Mini to the TV (there aren't any adapters, etc.). Which leads me to my next question: do I need some sort of adapter? I was under the impression that the cable I purchased from Amazon is, essentially, a DVI to HDMI adapter (it's just all in the form of one single cable). Thoughts?