Problem connecting MacBook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 19bob88, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 19bob88 macrumors newbie

I have a Mini DVI to DVI adapter for my MacBook, and I planned on using that to connect to my TV's VGA input using a DVI-VGA cable. Unfortunately my cable was DVI-I and my adapter was DVI-D, so I connected them using a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter. It seems like everything should be working (when the cord is hooked up to the TV my computer screen goes blue for a second when I plug into my Mini DVI port) but my TV isn't reading any signal. Other than a bad VGA plug on my TV, any ideas what might be wrong?

2. koaftder macrumors newbie

I've had problems plugging my macbook into TV's and projectors that don't don't do anything with the VESA DDC lines on the VGA interface. In these cases, the MacBook doesn't detect an external monitor. A quick way to check for this, and in the case of my projector, is to connect the MacBook to a VGA computer monitor, get it to display and then quickly connect the cable to the projector. If you get a display on your device doing this procedure, the device isn't using the DDC lines, and the mac will assume there is no valid display device connected. The reason the MacBook might initially determine there is a display connected is because the chipset monitors the capacitance of the RGB lines. When that changes it uses the DDC lines to determine the parameters of the external display, if it doesn't get any information, it assumes there is no display device connected.

3. koaftder macrumors newbie

Also, if you try the procedure I mentioned in my previous post, make sure you select a resolution on the computer monitor you know the TV is capable of displaying.

4. BttrDrmrThanU macrumors newbie

I have a macbook with the DVI output. So I bought the DVI to S-Video adapter. And..I'm getting nothing. I connect it and all I get is crazy scrolling static. I can lower the resolution as far down as i can in the display settings but it's still horrible and all deformed and...black and white.

Any ideas. Could the adapter be bad? Everyone else makes it look so easy.

Oh, my TV is a Panasonic Widescreen Rear-Projection HDTV. It's about 4 years old. It does not have HDMI, it has S-Videos, RCA, and a strange "digital input" which is kinda funky looking.

Please share some ideas. Thanks

- Justin

5. fatcat23 macrumors member

To all of the above....did you try going into Displays under sys prefs. Then detect displays when you connect the tv?

Alot of tv's wont auto sync but most monitors would.