Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Anyone else having problems connecting to hotspots generated by Android devices since going to iOS 11? It should look like the iOS device will repeatedly and rapidly connect and disconnect from the hotspot to no avail.

I faced the issue just now when I was outside, not the most convenient of all times but thank goodness that my iPad has cellular too! Anyway, I went home and tried a full factory reset, which cleared other issues but not this one. I then tried going down to 11.0.1 from 11.0.2 but the issue still does not go away.

I checked that both my Android device and my iOS device do not have problems connecting to my home Wifi access point and that other devices can connect to their hotspots, eliminating possibility that my devices went bad and also confirming that it is an iOS 11 issue. I tried resetting their network settings, no go either.

The workaround I have now involves another Wifi hotspot. This hotspot should be a Wifi access point (e.g. your home's) that your iOS device can reliably connect. Then follow the steps:
1. Activate your Android device's hotspot but do not connect to it yet. Make sure it will not shut down on its own by checking its power saving features
2. Using your iOS device, connect to the reliable Wifi access point and ensure that it stays connected for about a minute
3. Then go ahead and connect to your Android device's hotspot and ensure that it stays connected for about 3 minutes or longer
4. If successful, you may disconnect if you wish. You can now connect to your Android device's hotspot as long you do not restart either the iOS device or the Android device. If not successful, repeat step 2 and 3 until you succeed

I have tested these steps to be working so far in 11.0.1 and 11.0.2 and will make it a point to do so before leaving home. Hope this helps!

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Have you tried renaming the Android hotspot and changing password?

Had similar issues with my iPhone acting as hotspot and changing name and password solved the issue for me.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Have you tried renaming the Android hotspot and changing password?

Had similar issues with my iPhone acting as hotspot and changing name and password solved the issue for me.

That didn't work for me unfortunately

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Issue still persisting in 11.0.3, I'll see if resetting my Android device will help too

A pattern that I am noticing is that if you are in an area with less number of Wifi hotspots, you will eventually be able to connect to your Android hotspot. Conversely, if you are trying to connect on a fast moving vehicle, you will never be able to connect at all

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I spoke to both Sony and Apple service centres, they are equally stumped too.

Apple: Did full hardware diagnostics on the iPad to rule out hardware issues. We got an iPhone (on iOS 10 though) to connect to that Android phone. My iPad can connect to the iPhone too

Sony: Brought out brand new phones of same model to test, had similar issues on them too (i.e. my phone is not faulty)

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I spoke to both Sony and Apple service centres, they are equally stumped too.

Apple: Did full hardware diagnostics on the iPad to rule out hardware issues. We got an iPhone (on iOS 10 though) to connect to that Android phone. My iPad can connect to the iPhone too

Sony: Brought out brand new phones of same model to test, had similar issues on them too (i.e. my phone is not faulty)

So what did Apple do after?

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
So what did Apple do after?

They told me they are unsure what could be the cause and unfortunately could not do anything else for the moment :(

Only comfort I have is that none of my devices are having hardware problems (i.e. high chance it is an iOS 11 issue)

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
They told me they are unsure what could be the cause and unfortunately could not do anything else for the moment :(

Only comfort I have is that none of my devices are having hardware problems (i.e. high chance it is an iOS 11 issue)

Wouldn't hurt to ask for a replacement iPad that has iOS 10.3.3 on it.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
The problem occurs with my iPad though, the iPhone was from one of the staff

I don't think there is any iPad Pro 2nd Gen with iOS 10 now

Interesting that Apple staff would be still on iOS 10 and avoiding iOS 11. It's like they know something about iOS 11 that we don't.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Interesting that Apple staff would be still on iOS 10 and avoiding iOS 11. It's like they know something about iOS 11 that we don't.

Seems to me only it's only one guy though but we shall see

You gave me a good idea though, let's see if I can convince them to test this out with an iOS 10 iPad Pro and let me do an downgrade so to speak. A pity though considering that iOS 11 do have improvements for AirPlay even without AirPlay 2, which is quite needed here

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Ok I did more tests, can safely say this is an iOS 11 issue affecting only iPads of any kind

My friend's iOS 11 iPhone SE has no such issue, Apple Store's iOS 10 iPad Pro (1st Gen 12.9 inch) has no such issue while Apple Store's iOS 11 iPad Pro (1st Gen 9.7 inch) has this issue.

Current solution is to wait it out, perhaps 11.1 will fix this?

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Apple Engineering has responded to me and asked more details about this

If anyone else have this problem, sound out here and I will let them know accordingly!

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Sony pushed an Oreo update for my XZs. It resolved my issue so you can try that. If your device is too old for Oreo it may be a problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.