Problem connecting to windows shared printer.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Apr 16, 2007.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

Ok, I have an officejet 5510 printer, it's connected to a windows machine. It's shared out, I have been able to add the printer, when I go to print to it, it will actually send the job to the PC, the job shows up as Remote Downlevel Document, it says it's printing but nothing happens. I have actually found a couple of other posts on the internet with this exact issue with the exact same printer but no one actually posted a fix for this. Is it just not possible with this printer? Has anyone had similiar issues with this printer or even another printer and been able to get it working? If it's not possible then thats ok I would just like to know. Thanks for anyone that replies.

2. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Well, thank you for the article. It really doesn't cover my issue since I do not get an error message while trying to print. Instead the mac sends the job to the computer, it disappears from the mac, the mac gets no errors. If I go to the PC I can see the document in the print Que it says printing but just gets stuck in there and will not print.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Search this forum for Gutenprint and CUPS.

5. Viremia macrumors regular

6. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Misterme, I installed Gutenprint, but it didn't have the exact drivers for the 5510, so I went to Linuxprinting.org and searched for a cups driver for the 5510 and I couldn't find a driver for that one specifically, I think the closest thing I found was the 5500 or something also that website doesn't seem very intuitive. I found the printer but I did not see a link that made it clear it was for downloading the cups driver. I found something but I think it downloaded in some kind of linux zip file also how would you install the cups driver exactly? Is there a file you unzip and put into the printers folder and thats it?

Also Viremia thank you for that link if you got it to work with that link it would probably work for this situation.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OfficeJet 5510 is part of the OfficeJet 5500 series. You may find a CUPS driver which works "mostly" on the OpenPrinting.org (nee LinuxPrinting.org) website.