Problem copying DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by greg555, Feb 12, 2009.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My wife bought photos and videos from my daughter's skating competition from a company. She paid big money to have the rights to copy them for the whole team. I was able to copy and burn the photos from the supplied CD onto other CDs with no problem. But the DVD isn't working for me.

I copied the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD onto my desktop, insert a DVD-R, copy the VIDEO_TS folder to it and then burn it (by ejecting it, then telling it to burn the disc). The resulting disc won't play on the iMac or on a standard DVD player. (The iMac's DVD Player says "Supported disc not available.")

Did I do something wrong or is the disc copy protected (even though it shouldn't be)?

Thanks - Greg

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Been a while since I did this, and I'm away from my machine, but isn't it possible to use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the DVD which can then be burnt to your heart's content?

Definitely just copying the folders annd burning them ain't gonna work.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is possible, but easier to use Burn and press copy disc.

5. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks R.J.S. Burn did the trick.

It did take me a few minutes to figure out how to copy given that I only have one optical drive. (Save in the Copy tab did the trick: creates the dmg file that you later drag onto copy and burn to disk.)

Greg