Problem copying files from USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ElliotAus, May 28, 2009.

1. ElliotAus macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently bought a new macbook 13" (first time ever using mac so i dont know much yet) and have been trying to copy some of my files from my pc to my macbook using my USB flash drive, however everytime i try to copy a file from the usb to my macbook i got the message:
    "The operation cannot be completed because you do not sufficient privileges for some of the items."

After clicking ok to this message the copying status bar doesnt move and the estimated time remaining displays nothing even after waiting for ~1hour.

I tried going to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to repair disk permissions but the option is greyed out on my flash drive.
    I have also tried reinstalling osx but this seemed to just be a big waste of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Plug your flash drive back into your PC. It is probably set as "read-only". Change it like this.

3. ElliotAus thread starter macrumors newbie

The USB is formatted as FAT32 not NTFS so i cant change the permissions, but on the information for the usb (on my mac) it says "You can read and write".

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

If they are on the same network, you can try transferring the files over that. :) Maybe try formatting the card on your Mac, and then loading the files from Windows on it.

5. ElliotAus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah transferring them over the network now, still would be nice to be able to use my usb though, im sure i will figure it out one day... thanks anyway

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Well did you already try formatting it on your mac first?

7. ElliotAus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep tried formatting it on my mac but i get the same message, could be just the usb i will try another one...