Problem copying music CD.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mgguy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I need help understanding what I did wrong copying a music CD. I copied the songs by dragging the song files from the original CD to the icon of the blank CD on my G3 iMac. The computer told me the songs successfully copied, and I was able to play the CD copy using iTunes. However, when I put the CD copy on my portable CD player, there was no sound. What might I have done wrong? Do Macs not permit copying of copyrighted music? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You've put sound files on a CD, as opposed to creating a CD Audio disc. You can use iTunes or Toast to create a proper CD.

3. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

Thank you for your reply.

I thought I followed the FInder "Help" instructions for copying CDs. Are those instructions only for data files and not music? Also, it the DC copy is bad, why does it play in iTunes?

Are you saying that I have to copy the songs to iTunes library and then from there copy onto CD?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You need to burn a music CD rather than a data disc. Use a program like iTunes or Toast to do this. Just copying the files across means that will only play on a computer and not a stereo system.

Remember you can only store 70 odd minutes on an audio CD.

5. NicP macrumors 6502

Yes.

6. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

Thanks for enlightening me. I will try it through iTunes.