Problem Copying To External Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shep66, Sep 1, 2009.

1. shep66 macrumors newbie

Folks

Excuse my ignorance on this topic but maybe one of you good people can help me.

I have a fairly large iTunes Music directory contained on an external hard drive. For safety/security reasons I'm trying to back it up to another external hard drive (no space on my Mac) but when I try to copy over the iTunes directory I get the following error message :

"You can’t copy “iTunes Music” because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames."

There are no files on the destination hard drive so I'm a tad confused.

I'm worried that one hard drive failure and my music collection goes up in flames so do any of you folks have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks very much.

Shep

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is your system hard drive formatted to Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive)?

3. shep66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope I don't believe so. However I am more than willing to reformat the drive as it doesn't contain any data currently. How should I reformat it and with what format?

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i believe you just go into disc ultility and choose the external HD you are wanting to reformat. You may have two different choices, Mac OS Extended, or Mac OS journalized (although i get that option with flash drives, etc.) If you are using this external with your Mac primarily, than I would choose Mac OS Extended, since there is no need to format it any other way. I am unsure what the difference between Extended and Journalized is, however..

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm referring to the other drive, the one you're running your system from.

There are four Mac OS formats:

Mac OS Extended
    Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
    Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

Normally your system is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Journaling is a process that provides a measure of protection against data corruption, so it's a good idea to leave that on.

What I was asking is whether your system drive is formatted to one of the case-sensitive formats.

6. shep66 thread starter macrumors newbie

BlueRevolution you cracked it for me (I think). I reformatted the target drive to be "case sensitive, journaled", tried the copy again and everything worked sweetly.

Thanks very much for your help.

Shep

7. KB007 macrumors newbie

Thanks I had similar problem and formatted to fat32 allowing me to transfer files to the PC
    thanks for helping:)

8. icantbebothered macrumors newbie

icantbebothered

I have run out of room on my external hard drive and have a large drive that I have already in use for photos. I want to move the music off my small drive to my large drive but I am getting the error as stated in the other posts.

You can’t copy “Music” because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames.

The problem is..I have a ton of stuff on that large drive and no where to put it so that I can reformat. Any ideas or suggestions??:confused: