Problem detecting USB Camcorder in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OpenLaszlo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. OpenLaszlo macrumors member

OpenLaszlo

Hey everyone, I seem to having some trouble uploading my home movies from my Song DCR-TRV460 NTSC camcorder onto my Macbook. I am connecting it via a USB cable and I have the camera turned on and set to playback mode, but iMovie only recognizes my iSight camera when I go to import videos. I tried the Garageband trick and I made sure the tape was rewound and camera working, but I still have no luck. Anyone got any ideas?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i movie 06 or 08?
    imovie 06 dosent have usb support and idk about imovie 08 caue its pretty lame.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No version of iMovie supports USB import (unless it is a flash-based camera).

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

caue then u just take the file off the camera directly and drag it to imovie 08 right? i have like no experience with the new version.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct, or use the Import Movies ... command from the menu, which allows you import any file that iMovie supports.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

so it supports mpeg 2 now? cause dont a lot of cameras store in mpeg2?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure about that, I don't have any mpeg2 files left to check. I converted all mine to DV or mp4.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I realise this is a Digital 8 camera, but doesn't it have a DV / FireWire port for transferring video?

Yep, just checked the manual (available here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRTRV460.PDF). See page 119 re "i.Link" which is Sony's name for FireWire.

Bottom line: don't use USB to import your video. Use FireWire.

Andrew.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MPEG-2 is a delivery format, not an editing format. It is the format used for DVDs, digital television, and Blu-ray. If you want to edit MPEG-2, then you must transcode to an editable format.

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

well ya thats what i ment. i know what its used for but the old iMovie wouldnt let u import mpeg 2 stuff but it sounds like the new one will import it and convert it to quicktime.

11. fxstb2002 macrumors member