Problem determining boot and slave drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rumorsandmore, Jun 5, 2010.

1. rumorsandmore macrumors newbie

So I just installed two drives in my PowerMac G4 MDD. Using cable select to install them, I have the boot drive installed on the middle of the ribbon between the Mobo. and the end. The slave drive is on the end of the ribbon. Now when I open Disk Utility the slave drive is first on the list on the left followed by the boot drive. I thought it should be the other way around. Also, when I option click on each drive and click on information the boot drive is tagged with disk1xxx and the slave has the drive as disk0xxx. That doesn't sound right. Does it? ALSO strangely when I FIRST set the drives up and opened Disk Utility the BOOT was first in the list and the SLAVE was underneath, but after a restart they went the other way around. Can tell me what's going on? or anything to worry about? I will be doing frequent backups on the boot drive so I don't want any issues later.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You actually don't have a boot and a slave drive. You have two drives connected via Cable Select. The computer's doing the selection of which order it lists them in for you.

If you want to set the order, you can set the jumpers to Master and Slave, but otherwise let the computer do it's job. It won't affect your usage of the computer.

jW