Problem diagnosis... logic board or HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ebt, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ebt macrumors newbie

Since the wait for the 'genius' appointment is over a week, I've been dabbling myself to try and diagnose an issue on a Mid2010 MBP.

Its been running slow as hell and today had its first ever kernel panic.

Everything seems to be pointing towards the HDD, but Im conscious it could also be a logic board/connector issue.

Tests so far:

- Disk Utility, single user mode/fsck and apple hardware test, all passed.

DriveDX (utility for checking smart status), shows high CRC failure.

Any words of wisdom?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can always chuck a new hard drive in there and see if the problem goes away. Maybe you can even borrow a known working one from a friend.

It sure does sound like a HD on its way out.

3. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

consider swapping hdd for sdd...much less expensive than replacing a logic board 1st..and if it was the hdd you macbook will be very much faster;)

4. ebt thread starter macrumors newbie

I must admit I was hoping there'd be some hidden diagnosis tool, before going for the good old brute force approach of a swap/repair ;)

5. Xeridionix macrumors regular

Swapping the drive out and testing again would be the best method in my opinion.

6. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

DriveDX (utility for checking smart status), shows high CRC failure.

Diagnostic tools are not going to pin point hardware failure at least not always

sdd is just an otption (I had a replacement logic board in previous macbook (approx £400 -90 day warranty! yes it failed a few weeks later)

I'll never consider apple store again before swapping or replacing what I can if I need to:cool:

7. ebt thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an fyi, its apparently a known problem for that vintage of MBP to have problems with the HDD cable.....which it seems I may have since the replacement SSD did nothing.