Problem downloading files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by e7e, May 5, 2009.

1. e7e macrumors member

Hello everybody

I have a problem with downloading files on my OSX partition. When using firefox/opera/safari to download a file, I often get an error "the source file could not be read, please try again later or contact system administrator" (Firefox) the other browsers just stop. :(

I tried repairing disk and permission repair, but no luck. Does anyone of you guys experienced similar problem or know how I can fix this? please let me know.

Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sounds like you don't have permission to write to whatever folder they're using as the default download folder. Repair Permissions would not necessarily fix this. It's easy enough to check; find the folder they're saving to. Right or command click on it and select "Get Info" (or use the menu command with it highlighted). Expand the "Sharing & Permissions" section. See who the owner (the single silhouette) is and what permissions they have. If it's not you or you don't have read & write permissions, click the lock to make changes, select yourself, set it to Read/Write, and finally click the little gear icon and select "Apply to enclosed items".

The Finder permissions setting system is, frankly, somewhat broken, but in theory this should work and resolve any issues.

If you already have permission to write to the folder, either they're not saving files to the location you think they are, or something else is broken.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Does it work in Safari?

Only in windows you have to use a browser different than the default browser

4. e7e thread starter macrumors member

Yes same problem with the safari, only with safari it just stops no message.

It seems I have permission, because it downloads to something like 70% then it stops, and it also happens very random, some file works others dont, which I find really weird.