Problem downloading

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob5820, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I have a very strange problem that only occurs when I try to download certain files. It has happened to me downloading files from my school while in Firefox, but not Safari, and it has happened to me when downloading update files for Spamsieve. I get the following error message.
    "Downloading /Applications/iWork08/Keynote.app/Contents/Frameworks/SFRendering.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Storyboard.sfrframe/Contents/Resources/Storyboard_Mask_02.png/k2aubm1g.doc

/Applications/iWork08/Keynote.app/Contents/Frameworks/SFRendering.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Storyboard.sfrframe/Contents/Resources/Storyboard_Mask_02.png/k2aubm1g.doc could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location"

For the most part evey thing downloads to my Download folder without any trouble. Any ideas?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why is it downloading to inside Keynote.app? How are you downloading the updates? Safari? Spam Sieve itself?

3. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

That's the $100,000.00 question. In spamsieve I'm clicking on check for updates, just like in many other programs. Not sure why some downloads are trying to write to this file.

4. Michael Tsai macrumors newbie

SpamSieve, like some other applications, asks the OS what your preferred downloads folder is and saves its downloads there. It sounds like this preference is messed up (pointing to that file instead of to a valid folder), perhaps due to disk catalog damage. You can change the setting from Safari's Preferences window. (Oddly enough, Safari can change this setting, but it doesn't seem to actually use it, which is why I think you aren't seeing the problem in Safari.)

5. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Thanks for the reply, part of the problem is that the "Save Downloaded Files To" in Safari preferences is already set to my Downloads folder. I agree that a preference is screwed up somewhere but I'm not sure how to go about finding its location.

6. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Mike,

Problem solved. You got me on the right track. Firefox was not set to Downloads, but to /Applications/iWork08/...

No idea why. I rarely even use Firefox, but I guess it may have screwed up a preference file that Spamsieve was looking for.

EDIT: Spoke to soon, problem still exists in Firefox, even after switching the save as folder to Downloads