Problem: Dumb blinking line while trying to install boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yarjarrar, Jul 13, 2008.

1. yarjarrar macrumors member

Hi, I have windows xp and I want to use boot camp. So partioned the thing and then clicked install, in the boot camp assistant. Then it shut down to install windows, but it came up with a black scree with a little, blinking underscore line at the top left. And then it just stays there, doing nothing. And the keyboard won't do anything. Please help me solve this problem! Please!

2. yarjarrar thread starter macrumors member

Backlight of backlit keyboard always on

WOOOHOOO! I got it working! Thanks for all your help guys. You were all very helpful. I appreciate it! But now another problem has arisen. The backlit keyboard is always on. This is only in windows. Please help.

3. seba-sw macrumors newbie

I'v got the same problem how did you solve it?

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

What did you do to fix this issue? I am stuck with using Windows XP for now via BootCamp. Vista and Windows 7 gives me this issue.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've come across this issue when installing Windows from the first day I started using Boot Camp (around 2 years ago). I still to this day have no idea why it happens or how to fix it, but I usually just follow the on-screen instructions of "put the Windows DVD in and restart" and if that doesn't work, I'll try some combination of either:

a) holding down the power button to restart and try re-running the Boot Camp assistant (not re-creating the partition, just the running the last step again)

b) holding down the power button to restart, and then holding down the "option" key right as you hear the startup chime and selecting either the Windows DVD or the blank Boot Camp partition

After one or two tries of any of the above steps in any order, it will finally run (the whole process taking no longer than 5-10 minutes). :confused: Annoying, yes, but it's not a big deal.

6. yarjarrar thread starter macrumors member

What I did to fix the problem was a bit strange. I have 4GB of RAM and somehow I figured out that installing boot camp won't work if you have over 2GB. So to stop that horrible blinking line and make the installation work, you have to actually open your computer from the bottom and remove some RAM.
    At least that's how I got it working. And if you don't have over 2GB of RAM, and are having that problem, I'm not sure what to do except maybe re-partition the drive with boot camp assistant. Hope this helps.

7. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Has anyone else tested this?

8. larry k. macrumors newbie

I have and it did not fix my problem. I have tried everything I can think of.

- Different keyboard & mouse
    - Disconnect anything extra from the computer
    - Different versions of Windows
    - Resetting the PRAM numerous times
    - Unplugging the computer for a length of time
    - Installing rEFIt
    - Holding down Option and selecting the DVD while booting

Nothing works for me.

9. larry k. macrumors newbie

Well I decided to try one more thing and I finally got it to work for me. Instead of using the 10.6 DVD like I have been I used the 10.5 Install DVD that came with my iMac. I redid the entire drive into one partition, installed 10.5, ran Boot Camp to partition it and installed Windows 7. No more blinking cursor. After I got Windows running I used the 10.6 DVD to redo that part of the partition and now everything is working.