problem ejecting usb/external drive after installing onyx

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cool MBA, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Cool MBA macrumors newbie

Cool MBA

Hi All
    I have a 2014 MBA running Maverick 10.9.4. I noticed a few days after I installed onyx 2.8.6, i can't eject a usb or external HD by means of dragging to the trash can or ejecting via the sidebar in Finder. I have to open Disk Utility and eject it from there which then ejects its fine. I uninstalled onyx and the problem is still there..I read on some apple forums that onyx caused this problem with Lion.. I created a new user account to test it and it ejects fine using trash can or Finder sidebar..I even tried deleting the com.apple.finder plist and sidebar plist (as per suggestions in another forum from 2012, but still no luck on my original user account..
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated..
    thanks in advance..

** I noticed that even after unistalling onyx, some of the customisations I set are still present (eg.adding msg to login, dock colour change)** is this normal?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those custom settings in Onyx are mostly just Terminal commands to change the OS X settings. So even after you remove onyx the settings will persist. What might be easiest is to reinstall onyx then go back through each screen that allows settings changes and tell onyx to reset them back to default.

3. Cool MBA thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool MBA

hey man
    thanks for the suggestion, however my problem persists..I tried another suggestion which was to boot in safe mode and see if the eject process could be done via finder sidebar or drag to trash, but the usb did't even get recognised (left it plugged in for 10mins as i know processes takes longer in SM), i even tried another usb on the other port and that didn't get recognised either..Back in "normal" mode they are recognised again but still can only eject using disk utility.
    Oh well DU it is then:confused: